runner and landing

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Nate Hall, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

I measured a stairway and landing so the client could order online. The company offered to fabricate the landing but would need forty two feet. :eek: I had to guess at the pattern repeat from a picture and it looked like a one foot, set match, repeat. Through subsequent conversations the company stated it was a ten inch repeat and insisted they needed forty two linear feet.:mad: I started to question my measurements, my math, and my sanity. (not necessarily in that order) I told the client she could order thirty five linear feet but it would likely be leftover. Here is a picture of the scrap.
    nate-hall04.jpg
    I cut judiciously from both ends of the roll to minimize waste and to maximize the border length I would need to frame out the landing.
    nate-hall03.jpg nate-hall02.jpg

The carpet is all going the same direction so the top four steps are "backwards" with the grain sweeping up the stairs.
    nate-hall01.jpg
    I prefer this method to the forty five degree cut that leaves an ugly mismatched seam in the landing carpet.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. RFI

RFI Mr. Nefarious Senior Member

Well done brother! :cool:

3. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

wish i coulda been there to watch, woulda learned a thing or two

4. Rodney Henderson

Rodney Henderson Pro Member

Im with Z on that, to watch something like that take place would be an enormous learning experience. Nate, jobs like this give me something to shoot for, truly an inspiration to see.

5. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Ok Magician Nate ! how did you fabricate that landing w/ no compromise to the pattern repeat ?

Can we see a picture of the fabricated back, pretty please :D

Gr8t job !:cool:

Mike

6. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Did you off set the landing and steps on the on flight so you could hold pattern? looks like the one side shows a little wider wood boarder. The job does look real good.

7. Nate Hall

I did not get pics of the back of the landing. I will describe the process. First I cut the 9 steps and the landing but I cut across the border jogged down 6 inches then across the field to the opposite border, where I turned and cut down the border line and stopped 6 inches from the edge of the landing. That way I had room to miter the corner of the outside and inside borders. Then I cut two 2 foot panels of field only. (Leaving the border on the roll) . Next I cut the remaining 4 steps and landing. Leaving the borders on and cut off like the other side. I had to take this from the other end of the roll to minimize waste. Then I cut 2 panels of field only, leaving the borders on the roll. So I had to split the center panels in half so they matched the field on the step/landing pieces. I sealed and seamed all that together and cut and sealed the 45s on the borders. I had to stretch the long, outside, border to get a better monkey match at the corners.
    The wood looks off center because of the banister post is wider than the spindles, Roland.

8. Mike Sliwinski

Thanks Nate for that description, but I'm confused :confused: Don't be upset, I'm confused about life in general anyway :p

Hey ! I bet you can't draw a seam diagram and post it ;) :):)

Great job thinking out-side the box

Mike

9. Nate Hall

I can...and will...when I get home.

10. Nate Hall

11. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

The 'general' rule is to have the lay of the pile going down the steps.

In consideration to the directionality of the pattern, this is a great example of the exception to the rule. Very nicely done. :bow::bow::bow: and thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us all.

Respectfully,

David Hunt

12. Mike Sliwinski

Thanks Nate ! that's what I thought, however when looking at the pattern it didn't look possible to match both sides with
    the two extra ' field only' pcs............I did one many years ago, had
    to remove 1/2'' of the pattern at three ea. design elements
    for it to work out. Still looked nice with the compromise, but not as good as yours, with a perfect match. :good:

good thing I didn't bet any money ;)

Mike