Rug not laying flat

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Darren Ramey, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

So I’ve got this bubble in a woven rug that just won’t lay down. The rug is over 20 x 20 with a seam down the middle. I seamed it up on site, I didn’t have to fold it up. It doesn’t look like the serging is too tight. It’s been in the room for 3 or 4 months. If it was going to go down on its own it would have by now. I can kick it out mostly flat but it comes right back. It is over Durahold pad.

Any suggestions? Outside of gluing it to the pad or stretching it out and stapling it to the floor (customer doesn’t like either of those), I’m about out of ideas. I guess I could hit it with the steamer a few times and try to shrink the carpet up in that specific spot but it takes multiple trips and isn’t guaranteed to work.

The decorator I did this for loves these huge rugs. I need to start charging more on them, because there are always problems.

Attached Files:

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm for the gluing it to the pad but maybe getting a piece of backing latexed over that spot might stiffen it to keep it down. Is that the seam?

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don’t see why “releasable pressure sensitive adhesive” would be rejectionable. The right amount and kind with a roller. For me Its hard to know the force needed to keep it flat, haven’t done any woven, what kind as they have different characteristics.

4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Put a piece of 1.5" bevel bar over the bump. Problem all gone!

5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Steamer and weight is what I would try or hair dryer to heat it up and soften it then weight. I've had to send a few back for that reason. Even went so far as to hang one from the ceiling in warehouse for 3 days to get it out. Came back and laid it out on the floor and it still bubbled up. You don't say if it is on a seam line. That could do it also just trying to align the pattern just the slightest.

:old:

Daris

6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Is that bubble caused by memory in the seam tape. I’ve seen that in areas where the rug was bumped together in one spot during the seaming process thereby creating a pooch where you just seamed. No biggie when you can stretch the bubble out. Maybe you could seam a piece of 6” tape over that area to get it to lay flat without having to split it open and redo multiple things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daris Mulkin

Actually the latex in the multi would soften it, It does in action backed carpet. Changes the formulation in the backing glue.

Daris

8. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

The seam is in the middle of the room 7 or 8 feet away.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Been there done that, toooo many times to count and it's frustrating.
    I would purposely raise fabrication fee, at the time of quote, to cover labor for such scenarios. However, all parties involved would be notified that
    carpets being used as area rugs can never be guaranteed
    to lay perfectly flat like wall to wall.

It's really not are problem, but we're best equipped to handle it, so we do. We need out-side the box thinking on every rug, room, plus carpet type,
    one method doesn't fit all.

I recommend keeping a log / cheat sheet as reference for future projects. After a few years or so, you may actually be consulted by the designers.

From the picture, it looks to be a 3/8'' plush, but before any recommendations can be given on shrinking, we need the fiber content, both face and backing.

Mike

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Daris Mulkin

I've sent 2 back and they were Stanton both times. I think Mr. Hunt would say to take it and wet it and stretch it out for a few days.

Daris

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

So there is just a random bubble in the middle of the rug that has nothing to do with your seam or binding? Sounds like a manufacturing defect that the designer gets to deal with since it’s not installation related. The designer can file a claim or pay you to attempt to steam it out.

12. Harry Myers

Harry Myers Charter Member

Sounds like a loose weave. Possibly multiple stop and go runs trying to tighten up on the tension. Alot of discount places sell stuff like this all the time. lol . The material on the face is pretty but the construction isnt.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1