Rug Binding problem

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Roger C, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Roger C

Roger C Pro Member

I have a number of rugs that I have to sew on 3" syn cotton (blind stitch) to leave a 1 3/4" top surface and the bottom to be wrapped over and glued on the underside. The rug is a loop with a high low pattern.

The problem I am having is the stitch and binding tape is gathering and wrinkling very badly.
    I was using a National Brute Wide Tapestry Portable (walking foot) and it did not work on this rug so I converted an NC Portable (twin puller) and it did the same thing. The machine was not moving along the rug. I applied tension to the fabric by pulling away from the rug towards me and this still did not solve the problem.

Has any one had similar problems and if so was there a solution. August 1, 2017 218.JPG
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I was reading the post as you posted Jim. I have never put on the wide binding . But what I am seeing is maybe and I'm guessing is to put more tension on the binding. Also and again I'm guessing is the fiber on the rug a very soft fiber? Other than that I have no clue. Try calling Nat"l and talk to one of their binder people, I always talk to Sue who is one of their custom rug trainers.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

@David Hunt may know. It's a good picture. That's why I like to know every function of those machines, troubleshooting etc. every scenario, cause and correction.

Looks like flimsy binding material to me, but I have no clue about feed rate and tension.
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Try adjusting the tension on your top roller (probably need to loosen it) and slightly pull the machine as you bind while keeping tension on your fabric. The top rollers are pulling on the binding and bunching it up so you have to help the machine along so it is moving forward. Be careful to not pull too fast or you will start breaking your thread and possibly toast a needle. Finally, grab some sewing pins and tack the binding in multiple spots to help it stay in place and not bunch up. You want the binding and rug to act as one piece while the machine moves (depending on what kind of machine you have). It's a pain and you might have to sew in spurts, reposition the pins and sew in another spurt unless you have enough pins to tack the whole run.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention the obvious. These machines are finicky so I usually go through the whole routine when mine act up. Take the lower bobbin assembly apart, blow everything out and oil the entire machine. Check the thread and bobbin tension as well. The numbers on the adjustment knobs are irrelevant. I only use mine to tell if I bumped the knob while doing something else. Thread and bobbin tension need to be checked frequently.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

I have my own guide / process for 'blind stitching' wide bindings and or tapestries, It's SLOW and primitive !..........but then again so am I :p

#1 > using paper pad tape, fasten one end
    of the binding to the floor, at the desired location. Then pull/ fasten the other end, pulling medium taunt.

#2 > fasten 1/8 '' of the edge to be bound, using hot glue, less is more.

#3 > Now fasten every 6'' of the opposite side,
    pulling lightly taunt, use paper pad tape or needles.

#4 > before binding, you must remove the tape at both ends.

Best of luck, the syn-cotton likes to move around a lot.
    I'll try to find some pictures to post.

7. Roger C

Roger C Pro Member

Thanks Mike,

I was able to complete the job using your suggestions. It took a while but the end result was a good job and the customers was very pleased.
    Thanks to everyone else that responded as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Your Welcome Roger, glad u got her done ! and thank you for thanking me :).....did you take any pictures that u could post ?