Rubber stair treads

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by kwfloors, Jan 3, 2020.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Have a job on a set of stairs coming up. It already has rubber treads on them that is worn out. Has anyone gone over the top of existing rubber treads? Cut the nose off and gone over it?
    Not looking forward to removing them and starting over. I need to go look at it yet, just thinking.

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You never see rubber stair nosings here anymore, I dont think you are allowed to use them especially in commercial situations
    This is what we use and they have all types of different styles and sizes
    With the existing ones the insert could just be replaced
    Products

3. KW, unfortunately that's a no go on the rubber over rubber.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but there aren't any rubber tread manufacturers that I know of that will allow you to install over existing resilient flooring of any kind. Adhesive compatibility, proper curing, chemistry differences in the compounding, possible wax bloom from the old treads, etc. etc.

Given the high risk of slip fall I would hate to see you put yourself on the hook from a liability standpoint trying to do something outside of the box. If there was an issue they (manufacturer) would run so far away so fast it would look like a roadrunner cartoon. All you'd see is a puff of dust.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Don't even think about going over existing treads. Yeah, demo, adhesive removal and prep is a bitch.....................x100

But you need to get that stairwell back to original/acceptable substrate conditions or just pass on the job. Stairs are an accident and a lawsuit just waiting to happen. Don't skimp/cheat there ever. That's how I roll.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

We would call that a "business decision"
    Buyer Beware

I would not advise overlaying the existing rubber tread with an additional rubber tread.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kwfloors

Started this job, they had contact cemented them on and the nose was filled with epoxy like it says to do. Had to chisel that epoxy off it was so stuck and hard.

rubber stairtreads1.jpg

7. Hand chisel? Bosch chisel?

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Brutal! I’ve had those ones where the previous guy actually did it right!

9. Jon Scanlan

Have you tried a hot air gun on it so it may soften?
    I have tried hot air guns on certain things and to my surprise they actually help

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kwfloors

I thought about it but shear force was getting it off. The epoxy was hard as a rock. Makes you a believer in that two part nosing epoxy.

11. Jon Scanlan

I used to "think" things when I was a young fella like you and not try them but as I am now old I do try things which could make my life easy. If it dont work, back to the old grunt way :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. kwfloors

I had a hard time trying to hang on to it to pull. Ended out lift one side enough to cut a hole to put the claw of the hammer into. Worked good.

• Like Like x 1
  13. That is the idea of the epoxy, keep the nose from moving and splitting when using the stairs. I done enough over the years, they can be tough to get off. When they started using the wide double face tape to hold down the treads, I thought that was great. Still epoxy the nose part.

• Agree Agree x 1