rubber stair tread install with 1 open end ??

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by netminderone, Apr 20, 2019.

1. netminderone

netminderone Pro Member

Stumped . Have a GC that says that he has seen rubber stair tread side pieces that are made to cover the open end stair, ever here of it??? The only way I know is to 45' stair tread and 45' a side piece. Look at picture enclosed, have to cover out side edge of stair, tell me your way to do it, thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I never had to do anything like that, but I might just miter in more stair tread - I might not want to make it miter all the way back to the riser, but into the tread a couple inches, then 90 it back to the riser. In other words, the side piece would be only about a 2" deep tread and as wide as the tread is deep. Don't know if I described that very well, but that's probably what I would do. Maybe if you had a larger photo. That one is too small to see the tread very well. And what material is going on?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Tell the dude he can put a stringer on

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If the GC says he has seen them, my response would be..........."You provide them, I will install them."

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Even if you mitered the tread what would you do to the raw sheet rock at the end of the riser.
    I vote for a stringer too.
    It looks like sloppy joe built those steps,
    Is that osb?

6. Jim McClain

That's why I wanted a higher resolution image. But from what I can tell, the sheetrock is somewhat flush with the tread and the riser. I would wrap the stair tread around that part, fill the nose with the right goop and glue that piece in place. The riser might be more difficult to do. We don't know what material will be used and that makes it difficult to discuss.

7. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

It says rubber stair treads in the title

8. Jim McClain

I know, but which ones? There's different styles and configurations. Some are bullnose, some waterfall style, some have attached risers, some are designed to butt the riser, others to overlap. Too many differences for me to say "do it this way." 'Course, I shouldn't be offering installation advice on these anyway because my experience is very limited and prob'ly a lot of changes have been made in the 13 or more years since I last installed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. netminderone

netminderone Pro Member

I always did it just the way you said, your right about lousy sheet rock, look at the picture and i need to cover sheetrock on side with same rubber tread (ROPPE tread and riser 1 piece),so nobody has ever heard of a rubber 1 piece that fits along side rail?? I never did, what's best way to do it ?? Open to all advice, and I have done thousands of rubber treads over 30 yrs. but Stumped by what GC saying he has seen them, Have any of you??

Attached Files:

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

11. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

My bet is that the GC has seen rubber/vinyl stair nosing and he thought it is the same as a stair tread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. netminderone

netminderone Pro Member

Ya, thats what i think, must of been a perfect miter at the corner, where can I find that installer??? Anyway, i'll just tell GC to find the specs or i'll have to do them old school like I did the last 30 yrs.. Thanks Guy's

• Like Like x 1