Routers

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by kwfloors, Apr 19, 2019.

1. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

So after many years with one company being my internet provider, I am changing companies. I have to get a router for my new setup just wondering what is good. We use the wifi mostly between phones and tablet. Main computer hooked into direct feed. Spectrum is going to save me $50 a month on my phone and internet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm going to dump spectrum after having them for many years for tv, phone and of coarse internet. I'm paying about $250 a month. They recently did a upgrade here and I lost 2 of my moving channels. Called them and said they could hook them back up but after a year it was going to be X amount of $. So screw them take away something I already had and wasn't going to change the bill any but charge more. So I'm shopping, will keep the internet though for now.

:old:

Daris

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

Linksys makes good equipment, but I wouldn't go so far as to say any router is a good router. This is the one I have:

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Thats fair Jim, I suppose more to the point, most anything a person purchases for personal use is adequate

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have the one Jim posted. Works great if you have people on their phones and watching Netflix etc at same time. I have spectrum also, internet only. It works pretty wrong for us and seems to get faster each year. Usually between 25-45 mbps when I run a speed test which is plenty if you’re not a heavy user.

7. Interesting, guess we rent ours from spectrum. Probably worth buying one as it’s under the radar of cost until one looks at the details. My garbage bill is up to 80$ 3 months pickup once a week with recycling once every two weeks. And they sold again to a bigger company my wife said. Not happy about charges so why should anyone be happy about what flooring installation costs are?

250$ a month x 1 year is 3000$ x 10 fast years gone by is only 30 thousand dollars. BS!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Never rent a router!! Bad deal! Buy your own and get one that can handle multiple devices at once. Most of the standard ones bog down fast with more than two devices connected

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. kwfloors

When the rep was here, I asked him several times if the price would jump after a year or 2 but he said no. No contract, rent for a router 5.95 a month. I get a free month of tv,internet and voice but I will cancel the tv after that month and voice is $9.99 and 30 mb internet is $15 where now I am paying $30 for phone and $40 for 3mb internet. This is the one I might get. NETGEAR - AC1750 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router

10. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Cut the cable last November, too expensive. Spectrum had a special for 12 months at $14.99 month for 40 download, 6 up. Linksys ac1750 running 2 tv streamers, wifi thermostat, 2 wifi cameras, wifi printer, 2 amazon echos and 2 desktop computers and a laptop. We also have netflix and amazon prime. Also bought an Ooma phone box and ported my number over and that's about $4.95 month. It all works and saving a pile of money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. kwfloors

12. I don’t know about the tech portion. I’ll see what I have now. It’s slow but I assumed it’s because we have a slower speed and the upgrade was more per month. There’s about 3 smartphones, 2 smart tv’s, getting more, iPad, WiFi thermostat, video surveillance.

Are they easy to change out? Enter a password voila?

Also want WiFi lights and doorlocks but something about needing a “hub” has delayed me probably for another year.

13. kwfloors

Their easy. Usb ports for the printer, cat 5 plugin for computer and other ports.

• Like Like x 1
  14. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Oh yea, I've 2 wifi lights too, real neat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

I have a TP-Link router I got on sale on Amazon a few months ago (regular $129.00, got it for $79.00). 4 Amazon Echo devices, about 20 Smart Home wifi switches, outlets, and thermostat, 3 internet connected tv's, blu-ray player, Chromecast, personal cloud drive, laptops, tablets, phones... handles everything like a champ. I do like technology!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1