Roland's Interview with Dave Foster

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mike Antonetti, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Have not watched it yet to see if they cut any of it out. What did you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I enjoyed the video and appreciated hearing some straight talk. It's too bad we didn't know about the Installation Summit before it happened, so we could have promoted it and the CFI convention here on TFP.

Those people walking into the space between camera and interview was a real distraction. Wasn't there a producer there that knew how to set the space to prevent that? :hmmm:

4. Mike Antonetti

You sounded diplomatic, I was surprised. The summit was the first day of convention. I think it was 25$ extra to go. I did hear Roland in background ask the INSTALL guy questions, Jason the floor guru?. Trying to listen sometimes and figure if I can guess the voice, I cut people off sometimes answering the phone before the spiel and say they're name. You think Dave would know how to pronounce your name Rol, like olly right? Roland.

Dave's sound interviews are horrible to listen to, like tin.

5. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Great Job Roland !!......very calm, cool and direct with your replies.

You too Jeremy ! and of course Dave Foster, the celebrity floor covering Host.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I watched the video. Yep, the biggest problem in the industry is the ability to get an installer to a job and it's because there are other jobs out there that pay just as well or better and the actual work is easier so it doesn't make sense to start a career as an installer for a young guy, who wants to go home dog tired for little money. It's been a chronic problem but it can be fixed just by saying lets make the installers happy, everybody get on the same page with the pay rates, make it a standard and stay with it. In five years the problem is fixed with a multi generation workforce. Mike is right "It's the $$"

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And the installers need to be acceptable as well. I've seen some I wouldn't trust.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

I agree, some I've seen just the other day I wonder if they're on crack cocaine, and that's a whole different problem.

Another thing is quality of installation. You got a crew flatten and tuck carpet verses others who install to a higher standard with same pay, they get more yardage down. Etc!

Yeah, way better jobs out there, take airline mechanic 50k$ first year. Guy yesterday I talked to, this generation has things handed to them, he does home theatre installations.

I just joined the Builders Association, they had an installation of officers dinner/awards last night, they are talking same issue and are going to the technical college to do some recruiting open to all trades who need employees. Gonna see how that may fit into my demo business, I need some serious networking to get my business running smoother.

9. kwfloors

Yes, I saw a lowes ad the other day showing carpet install and the guy was holding the knife weird and face cutting stretch in carpet. I thought about emailing them about that but no, makes me look good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Do you think it's only a matter of time before the Mills take matters into
    their own hands and open Installation divisions ?

maybe old timers could become corporate trainers, and supervisors.
    I have a few white color ;)(collar) shirts in the closet.

If labor shortages hit an all time
    high and quality continues to decrease, the mills, in my eyes,
    are best equipped with resources and structure
    to influence change, maybe even supply houses, especially if structured
    as an ESOP ( employee stock ownership program )

The retailers simply tell the consumer, Mohawk will give
    you a call shortly to install.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  11. Mike Antonetti

Here's an example of the money to be made as a warehouse manager 30-35k$ year. I crap more than that.

I'm looking at flooring jobs across the board, some reason I'm on a email list, google don't know ME! I'm so random, believe me, I'm doing a good job!

This listing may disappear is why I took photo.

Warehouse Manager - Sarasota, FL 34243 - Indeed Mobile

Attached Files:

12. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

This does nobody any good.

IMG_0963.PNG

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

it isn't really funny Chris, but it makes me laugh.

14. kwfloors

The only way installs can get better is if every job is inspected. Be it the store owner or another installer or inspector, some need to upgrade.

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Should be a way to report people like that. Not only is it unprofessional and unethical, it sounds illegal too.

16. Mike Antonetti

I've seen some jobs under "Gigs" for grinding concrete and laugh.

17. Chris 45

Exactly.

18. Mike Antonetti

I was talking to retailer, he asked if I do Facebook, he does for business, I say you have to be everywhere. Craigslist is just for browsing, can't say I got much from it but hey it's free. Here's what I got last night, it's legit from a project manager I looked up but I'm thinking 8500$-9k$ without knowing what leveling needs to be done. I'd really like to say 12k$ but I'd have to look at to confirm. I don't like to start by #'$(amount of money)

Attached Files:

19. Chris 45

Some people know what a job is worth but try and lock you into a price before you know what the job is worth. I have to mull over things for an hour or 24 these days. Been bit too many times giving a number on the spot, thinking it will be easy money, then something pops up that I shoulda known about or I remember a weird detail after the fact and I'm already committed to a hurried quote for less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. kwfloors

• Like Like x 1