RIP BB King

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by Stephanie at Cancork, May 15, 2015.

1. The great BB King has passed away. His music will take decades to fade away. RIP Mr. King.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Nice of you Steph. I wanted to see him in concert but never did. Gotta luv the blues. He sure was a working man!

3. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

He'll live on through his music...but still a great loss.

4. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

He's always been the King. I was very fortunate to see him in 73 in the Bay area at a small venue with only 500 seats. It was up close and personal. We just lost one of the greatest. His music will live forever.

The end of Lucille too. So sad.

RIP BB.

5. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Being a Chicagoan, and having grown up in blues clubs like The Checkerboard and Buddy Guy's Legends, among others, I got to see the man play 3 or 4 times.
    My heart broke this morning - Lucille is now a widow.
    Hope they bury her with him.

6. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

St. Louis was my old stomping grounds and ole BB King was a frequent visitor. Many years ago I was in an "after hours" Blues Club in East St. Louis Illinois and stumbled into a Jam Session and King was there. I assume it was Lucille with him back then, don't really know when Lucille was christened but she deserves to be in a Blues Hall of Fame somewhere. Later saw him in New Orleans again quite by accident.

For sure: "The Thrill is Gone".

I also got to know Ike and Tina Turner when they played the back room of a club (Tony and Joe's) in Madison Illinois owned by a friend of mine. Visited with them many times. I wonder if ole Tina would remember, she was always so quiet and drank Coca Cola.

Ah but I digress! There's more tho!

7. Taurus Flooring

Taurus Flooring Over 30yrs Experience

The Thrill is Gone, but fortunately the music isn't. Like the great classical masters, B.B. King's music will live on forever. Long live the King!

8. Bud Cline

I heard on the news this morning that he named all of his guitars over the years Lucille. So apparently there is/was no "one" Lucille.

9. Darol Wester

This is BB explaining Lucille. He did have several Lucille's.

"I used to play a place in Arkansas called Twist, Ark., and they used to have a little nightclub there that we played quite often. When we didn't have any other place to play, we were always welcome to play there. Well, it used to get quite cold in Twist, and they used to take something look like a big garbage pail and set it in the middle of the floor, half-fill it with kerosene. They would light that fuel, and that's what we used for heat. And generally, the people would dance around it, you know, never disturb this container. But this particular night, two guys start to fight and then one of them knocked the other one over on this container, and when they did, it spilled on the floor. Now it was already burning, so when it spilled, it looked like a river of fire, and everybody ran for the front door, including yours truly. But when I got on the outside, then I realized that I'd left my guitar inside. I went back for it. The building was a wooden building, and it was burning so fast when I got my guitar, it started to collapse around me. So I almost lost my life trying to save the guitar. But the next morning, we found that these two guys who was fighting was fighting about a lady. I never did meet the lady, but I learned that her name was Lucille. So I named my guitar Lucille and reminded me not to do a thing like that again."

10. Bud Cline

The marker at Twist.

Attached Files:

11. Darol Wester

Some of you might remember this. A great story about Lucille.

B.B. King