Rick Wells

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by fcfc, Dec 28, 2015.

1. fcfc

fcfc Pro Member

Last year one of my teachers died. A man whose name is Rick Wells. He died a floor layer of almost 40 years. He was a rough man who did his business over a bar table as often as not. Paid his help in cash, and while a lifelong non attender of AA managed to accrue so many friends that his funeral was well attended by associates and customers. I remember him from the many times he threw hatchets, presumably not at me, just uncomfortably close to me, thus leading to the name of my newest business, and his absolute insistence on getting it done right the first time, because 'dammit they don't pay me to come here again for your screw ups'. He was an ass, but he respected what he did, and he was good. Without him I wouldn't be where I am today. I keep a bar chip for him today in my showcase. Soon it will be one year, and I cannot help but think of him. Please remember those who came before you.

Doug

2. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

Words of respect and wisdom. Thanks for sharing this.

Respectfully,

David Hunt

3. fcfc

fcfc Pro Member

Some days it makes me wanna tear up, then I recall when he came really damn close with that hatchett, and I still wann cry. He was a good man. God I hope I ever get as good as him.

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Care to share?

5. fcfc

fcfc Pro Member

lol, Half Hatchet Installation

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Aye Caramba!

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I worked with a Marble Mason that had a temper who threw stuff when he got mad. And a friend who did the same thing, but he damaged stuff that he would have to fix, I just look at them like they're dumb, maybe I look at everyone like that.

8. fcfc

fcfc Pro Member

I will give him this, he never seemed to throw it with intent to harm or damage, but you know when a hatchet skidded across the floor when he was mad was a sign something different needed to happen. Totally not professional, yet strangely I still think about it in a nostalgic way.

9. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

An effective communicator will use the language, tones and gestures the listener best understands. It sounds to me like he was a very effective communicator.

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If he was throwing a hatchet I would say he got his point across very well.

:old:

Daris