Restoring wood flooring that has been covered with carpet

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Dixiekaye, May 20, 2019.

1. Dixiekaye

Dixiekaye Member

Moving on to the wood floors in the house I am buying. They have been covered with carpet for probably 15-20 years. The tack strips have left little holes around the perimeter of each room. What can I fill these holes with? Do I need to seal the holes after filling them?

The floor is in pretty good condition. The previous owner used paste wax and a buffing machine quite regularly before being covered with carpet. I really don't want to refinish them (expense) but what can I do to make them look up to par? They are dull in some places but there doesn't seem to be any major problems such as faded areas, scratches, etc. Would appreciate your advice.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

How about a good strip and wax.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

The thing about a waxed floor, once waxed, always waxed. The wax between that gets forced between boards in the process can and will act as a contaminant to other finishes.

On the bright side, a well maintained, waxed floor is one of the most beautiful floors you will ever see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dixiekaye

Dixiekaye Member

So just a good wax stripper and then apply new wax and buff? We had a beautiful parquet wood floor when I was growing up and I well remember taking my turn using the buffer.....boring (so I thought as a kid).

PS - what about the holes left by the carpet tack strips?