Restoring new wood look tile floor

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Krismis, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Krismis

Krismis New Member

moved into our new home and the floor has been trashed . Builder did not protect it and their are drip marks, swirled marks , a horrible haze. They have tried a haze clean up, and was told they used one that contained phosphoric acid. So far nothing has worked. Does anyone have anything that would help.

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You don't say what type of floor.

:old:

Daris

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Clorox wipes.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

We did a job and used the Barwalt grout cleaning system, it left haze and the marks of squares cut in their cleaning sponge. So we went back with haze cleaner. Mild side. Didn’t work. Then I brought our 20”Floor buffer with a beige scrub pad and the Sulfamic acid haze cleaner. I couldn’t acquire a soft bristle brush attachment anywhere. Also a pro wet vac with rubber squeegee attachment to lift residue followed by rinse and extract.

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

It's in the title: wood-look tile.

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Duh! I didn't read the title just the article. My bad. I read every post made, very seldom pay attention to the title. I guess the age is catching up to me.

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

I miss em too sometimes Daris. But it could be wood,tile,plank,vinyl,sheet,stone look flooring.

8. Soft scrub with bleach and a white or blue doodle bug (nylon scratch)pad and a good amount of elbow grease. Try in an inconspicuous area first as the soft scrub has a grit in it and could scratch, but if it's a decent quality floor tile it shouldn't.

I had one so bad a few years back in a restaurant that the people thought the wrong color tile was installed. Flooring contractor was a fly-by-night with no reachable phone number. Epoxy grout (Laticrete 2000IG). I was able to clean it off with just hot water and a white terry cloth towel, but it was such a large area they ended up renting an auto-scrubber to do the rest of the floor.

9. Krismis

Krismis New Member

Thanks we have a floor restoration doing it now . Just the way you said and it is working.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

The grout dries on surface of tile way faster than in the joint. The sponge on surface continues the wipe grout from joint causing it to be low. Reduce wiping out joint and surface results in residue on surface. Dragging a wet microfiber towel across surface reduces it. My ideal grout joint is minimally concave, enough to 3 dimensionalize but not a gully.

My continuing issue is a superior clean/scrub/vac. After seeing too many scratched vinyl plank jobs I will resort to tile plank in my home. Not sure of type of grout, it won’t be Portland or Hydraulic. Probably urethane or similar.