Reports from the front: Installer-Inspector Workshop

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Tandy Reeves, May 9, 2008.

1. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Wow! what a first day of the workshop. The moderators have done a great job, and the discussion from the floor has been outstanding. We have had to stop the discussions on all of the topics because we ran out of time. The guys from CFI have added so much to the workshop.

If Saturday is as good as today, the workshop will be a home run. Sorry you were not able to get here, maybe next year.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Re: Day #1

I'll second that, kinda funny though, Roland is real quiet on the boards.

But man you can't shut him up in person.

Good to meet everyone!

3. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I posted on the other thread and you started a new one. It was a great day and I am looking forward to tomorrow. Great info exchanged today.

4. Curt Durand

Curt Durand Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Published

One of the best spent days. Quality not quantity. A bunch of really professional attendes. Lots of good discussions and humerous anecdotes. Where are the rest of you? You are missing a really good couple of days. Hard to find these opportunities.

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Since it is about the training workshop, I moved the thread. I also renamed it so all the days can be discussed in the same topic. Hope you all don't mind (I can reverse my actions if you prefer).

It's good news and I am excited. I sure wish I could have been there. Now, who took pictures??? :D

T

6. David Hunt

David Hunt Charter Member Senior Member Published

Yeah, we want photos, we want photos!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Dobby

PS: Of course its G-R-E-A-T !!

7. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Oh come on guys I am not that bad am I ? Just because I made Tandy set down and wait till I called on him and picked on Daris does not make me that bad. I am realy a quiet person. I will also say that it was a good day trying to understand were we all can inprove to work together better.

Roland

8. Chris Mha

Re: Installer & Inspector Workshop

Early Staurday morning,guys are just gettin' up and around.
    Yesterday was a good gathering, with a good mix of Inspectors, Installers and Retail representation.
    Discussions included topics from Tandy, Curt, Daris, Chris, and many others. I thought the interaction and participation was great. A true group of "Bridge Builders" here.
    Looking forward to todays discussions, and will try to get pictures.

9. Chris Mha

Re: Installer & Inspector Workshop

Well is the end of day two. What a great two days with these professionals. So much information passed on between the installers and the inspectors. These guys and one lady are true professionals.

This was such a success that we have planned the event for next year. It will take place again in Tulsa because it is centrally located. The second annual Installer-Inspector workshop will take place in late April or early May 2009. I am confident that with the help of everyone that attended we can make this a much larger event. We will go to work very soon on the planning. I'd like to say, I am proud that FITS had been a part of this event and I thank the Floor Pro website for helping out in the promotion of it. Thank you all for a very successful workshop.

10. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is someone going to write a summary for those of us that couldn't go? Any pictures?

11. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

I hope Danny and Tony are careful. They will be driving thru tornados on the way home.

12. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Here are a few from the photography skills of Bill Watson.

Guess who they are in the pictures.

Attached Files:

13. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

I see Roland up to tricks, and Daris fixing to shoot the bird.

14. Tandy Reeves

Tandy Reeves Resting In Peace Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I hope I can figure out how to get the pictures on. A great workshop and here is the final figures of the workshop income and expenses.
    $960.00 collected from those attending workshop plus $200.00 donation plus 70.00 James Oliver = $1230.00 less $270 to be refunded =960.00 minus total expenses $742.00 = 217.98 surplus. We voted to send the $217.98 surplus to The Floor Pro to help cover their expenses. As we said in the beginning this was a not for profit workshop and that is the reason for the accounting of the monies. Hope I did it right.

Same as all of my other tries, I cannot load pictures.

15. Jim McClain

Just email them to me, Tandy, I'll upload them for you.

And thank you so much to the attendees. That money will help a great deal.

T

16. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

Well, I just got home. And, yes Rusty, tornadoes and thunderstorms were one county behind us pretty much all the way across Arkansas.

Man what a gathering we had, huh guys? It was great to meet you all and put faces to names. I definitely felt some walls were knocked down for me and replaced with bridges. (metaphorically speaking of course, we weren't that close to the tornadoes;) )I don't know about y'all but I felt many new friendships were established as well.

I do have a picture or two but I'll have to get them from my phone onto the computer first. I didn't bring a real camera. Anyway, I was sitting directly behind Roland and once I get these puppies to the photoshop..........well let's just let him worry about it for a while.:eek::eek:::D:D:D:D

Too bad you couldn't all be there. I think you should definitely try to plan ahead and make the next one.

17. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Tony you are lucky. There are at least 10 dead, dozens missing. 5 of the dead are from Oklahoma. The town of Pichur is mostly gone.

18. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Man What a fun time this has been. Got to meet people and put faces to the names,which is a major plus. And then have it be an educational event all at the same time. The big thing I found out is that not all inspectors are buttheads and only some are as the same way as some installers are hacks. They are human also with the same basic concerns as we have. That as an installer I don't have to feel like the rabbit with a hawk circling over head.
    I feel this meeting was set up in an excellent manner that with each subject covered that there were a moderator of each profession on the floor at the same time and were given equal opportunity and time. And the really good part of the presentation[mine] I got to be with Curt Durand A TRUE Professional. This man has all his ducks in a row and all the dust particles on his dresser numbered let me tell you. Naw I'm wrong about the dust I'm sure there is none.
    Now if we could have gotten a word in edgewise but it was hard cause Roland wouldn't shut up. But we did get a break from him this afternoon. Don't tell anybody but he fell asleep after lunch. ssshhh! I caught Tony being very heavy lidded a couple of times.
    I would like to thank Tandy for taking the idea and running with it and Floor Pro for pushing it on. It was a great time and experience their is no doubt about it. I'm sure next year will be even better. The good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I will definitely be here again next year and the year after that if it happens.
    What a great bunch of people.

Daris

19. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

Thanks for thinking about us Rusty. We got very lucky and stayed clear of the weather till we got home. We had a great two days in Tulsa. No one looked like I thought they wood, and they all exceeded my expectations. What a great group of professionals. Everyone felt comfortable during the workshop and held nothing back. The discussions were lively and informative, but no knock down drag outs. Daris and Rawland (Roland) were very entertaining and educational, and kudos to all the inspectors. They were hands down the most educated and professional people in their trade. It was the best fifty bucks I ever spent. NO ONE CAN AFFORD TO MISS THIS NEXT YEAR!

20. Jim McClain

Here are a bunch of pictures Tandy sent me. I tried to get the names right, but you guys'll have to correct me and fill in the blanks. Click each one to see the full size version.

Uncle Cliffie:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-01dickjohnson.JPG

Herb Kelley:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-02herbkelly.JPG

Chris Mha:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-03chrismha.JPG

Clockwise from top, Pat Harts, Tony Lamar, Roland Thompson, Danny Ferguson:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-04tonylamar.JPG

A wider shot of the above includes Gerald Harts:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-05orig.JPG

Better shot of Gerald:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-06orig.JPG

Bill Watson, front and center, with Charles Baker behind:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-07orig.JPG

Curt Durand:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-08orig.JPG

Daris Mulkin sitting next to a really nice hat:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-09darismulkin.JPG

From left to right, Roger Gerber, Russ Irwin and Daris:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-10russirwin.JPG

Sitting behind Daris is Mike Currin:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-11mikecurrin.JPG

A better shot of Charles Baker behind Bill Watson:
    installer-inspector-workshop-2008-12charlesbaker.JPG

There's 31 pictures in all, so see my next post for 12 more. Thank you, Tandy, for sending these along.

T