Reply Etiquette

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I surveill my phone throughout the night. Do I wait to reply on texts or emails @ 7,8,9 am?

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I use email at any time of the day or night, but I would not send a text message at night, unless it was a friend I knew was up that late regularly. I don't like receiving texts, either, after 8 or so in the evening or before 8 in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Remember the days of companies sending out faxes during the night as it was cheaper than during the day
    Our fax used to ring all hours of the night until I rang those companies and got taken off their list
    Mike you can send me an email any time you like but don't expect an answer if I am still asleep :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I text with impunity!!
    If I am awake dealing with business, you should be too. At least that's my brain making sense on it :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Jon, since you’re 18 hours ahead of here I would always like to know how the day went do I don’t get any surprises.

Attached Files:

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

8 would be the earliest i would reply. The people that reply in the middle if the night are the absolute worst

• Like Like x 1
  7. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

My customers all have access to my cell phone number so they can do whatever they wish whenever they wish. The thing is I know where the off button is and it is off when I go to bed at night. There have been occasions where I've told a customer to contact me after hours and I can leave it on in case of that situation.

I have an ipad that i keep on my nightstand so if I wake up and want to read or check the news I can. I have children and they are both adults (one is 18 the other is 21) so there are times they aren't at home when I go to bed. If there is an emergency they can call our home number. That's why I still keep a land line. It's cheaper than having a separate personal cell and it makes my cable TV package less by having it. :)

As Jim said, I don't hesitate to email if I'm working at an odd time of day. Texting, I will typically only do during my normal business hours (7:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday) I guess I've just always looked at it as though it's my choice to answer the phone or for that matter to leave it on. So if I leave it on and choose to do so then I can't be upset if they call or text me. Just my perspective, I know that doesn't work for everybody though.

8. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My phone is on 24-7, I get to choose when I answer it or when I return the calls. What bugs me is those who have a cell phone but refuse to set up a mailbox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

I did the 24-7 for a few years, commercial and industrial jobs, Home Depot in Tampa and Orlando were open to get anything. Owner didn’t want calls at night, but made me realize how much money he made while sleeping.

I just declined a small ripup 750 ft of vct and grind night job, I’m sure the money was not there to justify, it was the straw where we declined install for a retailer when he didn’t want to pay for adhesive removal.

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Or worse, don't know how to empty it. I have a friend who has an appliance repair business. Eight times out of 10 I get that damn "Mailbox is Full" message, yet he complains that business is slow. :blink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Night work just doesn’t pay enough anymore to justify staying up all night and ruining the next couple days. Especially when one can make the same amount of money during daylight hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mike Antonetti

Went to pick up a check and said we’d do it for 900$, down from 1000$ I said. retailer says vct failed, moisture high, ground to slab for a Mapei MSP product.

We’ll use walk behind grinder which will easily stay ahead of grinding. The $ just gets us to the next day, he’s scheduling two days before a 575 ft tile removal. The switch of shifts is not worth, but we can start at 5pm, better than midnight shift.

13. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Is that for 1 man or 2? If things are sloooowwwww, I’d do a night job for a grand. Well... maybe not. At least not now. I keep saying that I’d do carpet again for $7/ yd but deep down I know that’s a lie, too.

So, keeping with the thread of reply etiquette: Is it better to not reply to a request to do a turd of a job, or even just to politely decline the job, or is it better to speak up and tell someone that their price doesn’t meet your service mark

14. Mike Antonetti

Not sure but I told him it was one of the reasons we stopped installing, because we prepped a removal of adhesive and he didn’t want to pay our rate. So now he needs adhesive removed because that’s probably what rep said.

For two people, should take less than 6 hours, the next one will be higher till we get to level we need be.

Cost for them is going up for other then bugs as there’s random jobs due to him not paying a very good right hand man.

The post was from a text of not good news, the next day after 8:30 am the rest came in(test results) so when people wonder if they should retire, absolutely is the answer! And has been for the last 20 years.

15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Every price is a fair price, some prices are just not fair to me :)

16. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Here's how I explain it to my boss. I simply cant do the night work on any extended schedule. I can't just all of a sudden decide when to eat, sleep, work, shit, shave, shower, relax.........We are creatures of habit and the older you get the more your work life depends on HABIT.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I use an Android app called Schemes - I can time delay texts and emails. It's great because I can compose my message on my time and my phone delivers it at the right time. When I book an appointment to measure a customer's home for example - I set a reminder text to send to them the morning of the appointment. "Just a reminder I'll be at your house today at 2PM!", a week later my phone remembers and sends it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mike Antonetti

That’s a good feature, Tech is good if it’s easy. Too many options