Replacing one defective floating floor vinyl plank

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Luke George Hladky, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Luke George Hladky

Luke George Hladky Luke Sky Floorer

Installed a karndean korlok floating floor in a house for a couple. IMG20190909071124.jpg IMG20190911071631.jpg then the customer rings me up 2 days later and says theres a lump in the floor and sent me these pics.. Resized_20190916_161100.jpg Resized_20190916_160957.jpg
    It's a manufacturer defect and in the middle of the floor. The customers want it replaced and I'm frickign furious. Their an extremely fussy couple (OCD) and want it done perfect, so Im going to cut out the plank and drop a new one in its place but to do that you have to cut the tounge and groove off, if it doesn't sit in securely with the joins lifting up and down when walked on I'll have to move fridge & dishwasher, pull up all the kitchen and half the hallway just to get to it, also taking off skirting, Scotia, and dealing with all the silicon sealing I did around the kitchen, and just to make it more annoying they only had 2 spare planks left at the end of the job so if some of the boards break if I end up taking it up I'll be up for the cost of a new pack plus delivery.
    I tried to offer a discount even though I already did the job for a dirty cheap price but they just want it fixed(OCD) !
    Im always looking out for defects but have just missed this one.
    Very annoying!
    You think the manufacturers would have a system other than us, that pics up on defects before selling them to customers.
    Karndean has an awfully designed L-shaped stairnosing as well that I had to use, you can only glue it on top of the planks over the edge of the step. No screws! No sloting system! And it doesn't even have grip on the top of it, it's as smooth as a baby's butt! Won't be long before someone slips down it in a pair of socks and kills themselves. That's if the trims don't break free first! IMG20190911123148.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

That is one reason(many) I don’t like floating. I would say the customer should not be watching you replace this plank, only the “after” shot. If they see you taking one plank out they may loose confidence in the integrity of the whole thing. Disconnecting all of it I would say F U. Sorry about my American manners! You may be more polite but it’s not in my dna.

Two jobs we demo’d The customers were not there till after we were done. One wrote the check in garage then went in and said “cane out better than I thought. Another,(hardwood adhesive removal) emailed me “this is impressive, thanks for the help. I replied “it’s what we do” Point is, if you don’t see all the work being done you don’t have the images in your head seeing all the difficult mess.

So, oscillating tool V cut to 4 corners, cut through center I assume like hardwood, laminate, and I’d probably make a few more relief cuts to create space for the plank to lift instead of bind. Trim the new piece (tongue/groove) to fit, how to fasten? Tape underneath?

Then in future they may contact you to repair a damaged piece, price it extremely high so you’ll never deal with them again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Remove the offending plank as Mike described. For the new plank you will insert the groove side first and drop down onto the groove of the existing plank on the opposite side. You will have to trim the tongue off of the new plank so that it can drop down onto the other planks groove. Do the same thing with the butt joints. Test fit it all first. Then blue tape the edges and put a bead of CA glue on the trimmed underside of the replacement plank and drop it in and make sure it is flush before the CA sets up. It really doesn’t take that long to do once you know the routine.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Haven’t tried it, but I’d imagine koolglide utility tape would work too

6. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

That install looks good. Very sorry you have to cut into it. I might suggest speaking with Karndean before you start. Let them know you found a manufacturing error after installation. They may offer some help.

As far as replacing a plank, it might not be as bad as you imagine. I had to train some non-industry professionals on how to do it. The fellow was able to re & re a plank in about 25 minutes - and he is not a floor installer.

Hope all goes well!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Thats a tough one, I try to catch those as I go along, but when its after the job is done, that could be a problem. I was fine when it was a Unilock laminate, but these thin locking edge LVP, I worry about taking all those apart without compromising the integrity. This video makes it look easy, like they say, check the fit before you glue it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 2