Removing Saltillo Tiles

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Hien Hinh, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Hien Hinh

Hien Hinh New Member

We are going to take out about 1000 square feet of Saltillo tiles in a week. Can you give us some advice on how you did it? Was there lots of dust and if so, how did you minimize it? In addition, what tools did you use to make the process quicker and easier? Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Yes, it's going to be dusty and difficult work.

Sorry, I should have capitalized Dusty. There's going to be a shitstorm of DUST.

I promise.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Where are you located? Town? What equipment might you be able to get/rent? What’s the layout? Will furniture be removed?

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Sounds like the dustram is needed.

5. Incognito

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I think I would have removed those curtains before the dust flew. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Incognito

This was my friends house and I told him to get those down but he wouldn't listen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mike Antonetti

Saltillo kind of crumbles apart sometimes if set well, a hard chisel blade should be used first followed by the flex blade for the thinset. No matter as long as Saltillo is gone. How that took off I don’t know. Sure did mess up some trim height.

Don’t breathe the silica dust created. At the home show I went to there was a glass guy there. I saw his injection kit for auto glass, asked him how much to fix a small chip/star cluster crack, he said 50$, didn’t tell wife I was going 95 on I-4, saw it bouncing, so we started talking, he fixes scratches as well. New construction multimillion $Home someone scratched window, 300$ and he took scratch out. Window would have been much more. He was talking silica dust so I told him about a vac company. Leaving I said don’t charge me so little. Seriously 50$ at my door to fix a windshield chip, how the f you make money doing that? (Just passing time waiting for Oppie to reply!)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Antonetti

Status Gladys?