Removing Flooring under Heavy Furniture and Appliances

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mike Antonetti, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Large Heavy Bulky Appliances needing existing flooring however thick needing removed leaves it back on the substrate slab or subfloor. Then needs to be lifted and slid on new flooring to be filled in with new flooring and put in final position.

It is that rise I believe is somewhat difficult. Could I slide furniture forward, remove flooring, then put a filler of equal height down and slide furniture back in order to eliminate the need for installers to get over the lip of new flooring. Two examples are ceramic removal to hardwood with large hutch. Yesterday’s estimate was tile removal going to Hardwood with giant Sub Zero fridge/freeze.

What filler material would be easiest? Just thinking about installers interest and how they’ll appreciate us for a “Hey, get these guys to remove your floors” kinda “deal”!

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Filler material wouldn’t matter to me. Stoves are light enough to lift over a lip. A subzero gets the air sleds and coming off a 1/2” piece of plywood on to the substrate would actually be another pain in the ass to deal with in moving an appliance. You guys know what I’m talking about. I only want to deal with that one time and that’s when I return the appliance after my installation is complete.

I would think of putting shims under the stove so it sits at the same height as before the removal. Something the customer would appreciate but an installer could care less about.

Edit: In thinking about this I think a piece of plywood would actually make your job of demo easier. Roll the fridge out and demo behind it. Insert plywood. Get some sheet metal pieces to bridge the gap between existing flooring and plywood. Roll fridge back and you’re done. Now thats what I call teamwork.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  3. Mike Antonetti

That drop from flooring to demo binds when wheels drop off or hitch bottoms out at the fulcrum point of existing flooring. I’d like something modular I can add piece by piece as needed. It shouldn’t stick out when flooring removed just slightly past wheels on front or front edge of say large obsolete entertainment centers.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You need to put a signature on your inventions.

5. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

I us skates most of the time. I have the rubber shims that I use as 'ramps'.

6. Mike Antonetti

Me too, the vinyl 1 Ft wide 4 ft long we use for even out thresholds to doors for carts. The Crain skat skates are awesome, the airsled works nice, does kick up some dust after grinding floor though. There are slip sheets I thought about that Home Depot uses to pallet put materials on pallets with a type of forklift I’m thinking of putting under stuff to slide easier. I’ve used corrugated plastic, FRP board, whatever other thing to reduce slide friction.

I do like removing flooring behind the furniture as if removed in front of it causes a tipping forward hazard.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I leave two sheets of 1/4” in my van for just this reason