Removing Cut-back adhesive

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Jamesh921, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

I have a church that wants me to remove some existing VCT that was installed in 1979 and install some new VCT. Some of the tiles were loose enough to lift and remove. Under the tile is the black cut-back adhesive. Should I use a liquid adhesive remover? What would you recommend?
    Thanks, James

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I would cover in in patch if I had the option long before I would consider removing it, that game sucks

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Unless the subfloor is nonporous, whatever solvent or chemical strong enough to remove adhesive you apply to the floor will also very likely leave a residue behind that will compromise anything else you put on top of it. You may think it has evaporated or dried, but some of it has probably seeped into the pores of the substrate only to keep coming to the surface.

First test for asbestos. If none, then remove as much of the old adhesive as you can, seal the rest in with products designed to go over cutback adhesive, like certain floor patching products, sealers etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I think I would use cutback adhesive again or adhesive designed to go over cutback adhesive. Mapei makes some but it’s been a few years here since it was last talked about and I can’t recall.

Why try to change and remove when you can utilize what’s there and save labor. Contact Mapei technical support, a certain “press #” for the topic vct falls under and a representative in that category will advise.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

Another concern I have is taking up the existing VCT without making the cut-back airborne.

6. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

You have to work with it wet. The RFCI has developed removal guidelines in conjunction with OSHA (See the PDF). Keep in mind that there may be local or state ordinances that require precautions over and above these guidelines.

Attached Files:

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I wonder what the percentage was in the talcum powder that caused uterine cancer.

It’s somewhat encapsulated in the mix, agreeed wet removal, dry when setting.

8. Jamesh921

Jamesh921 Charter Member

I think this may be my best option. I'll look into it.