Removing, cleaning, replacing flooded vinyl plank flooring

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by sbv, Aug 29, 2017.

1. sbv

sbv New Member

Harvey flooded the vinyl plank flooring throughout our house in Houston. We are not sure if insurance will cover replacement and don't want to let that water/muck/mold linger while we wait to find out. Are there any suggestions for a system to remove the planks in a way that helps us keep track of how to replace them in the correct configuration? It is interlocking, 4-ft plank installed directly over concrete with no adhesive. Many thanks in advance for your guidance.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

3M Blue tape and a Sharpie (black magic marker)

label the rows numerically and the pieces in each row alphabetically.

so the first piece on the starting wall is 1A

if there are more than 26 pieces in a row the 27th piece becomes 1AA

make a schematic diagram to help you remember where you started and finished

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

This is interesting. I wouldn't have thought anyone would actually remove and clean and re install the so called "waterproof" floors.

I was emailing KW about which floors actually survived the floodwaters. I was thinking only polished concrete and epoxy coated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Need to watch the locking lip taking it apart, or you can maybe glue them together when you install them back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

If you're going through the steps anyway, it also might be a good idea as you remove them to wipe them down with either bleach or hydrogen peroxide. Both are good disinfectants and neither should harm the flooring. Make sure you take precautions to protect your hands if you're going to use bleach as it can dry your skin. Also, don't mix the two as they can produce chlorine gas, just use one or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sbv

sbv New Member

Thank you so much for this advice. It's exactly what we were trying to figure out. We have bleach and gloves. The floors were installed less than a year ago and we love them, so if it's possible to preserve them, especially if insurance won't replace, we want to give it a go and see what happens.

7. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

The only thing that you'll want to be aware of is that, depending on the locking system and as KW alluded to, these floors are not really intended to be taken apart and re-assembled. The locking system on some of these floors are manufactured so tight that taking them apart and putting them back together can create a bit of "slop" in the joint. Over time with normal use this "slop" can cause the floor to start to gap or break the locking system down and potentially significantly reduce the life of the flooring.

Not at all saying you shouldn't do what you're doing, but you may want to just make note to your insurance company in case a problem arises down the road and it is something they would normally cover.

God Bless, and hope your safe and sound. It looks a total mess down there right now. As someone who lives in a city where 3 rivers meet, I can assure you I know first hand what you're dealing with and our thoughts and prayers are there with you!

8. sbv

sbv New Member

Many thanks for your thoughts and kind words. We will advise the agent. I appreciate that y'all are commenting on short term as well as long term issues. Feeling grateful!