Remove window, Add Door

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Mike Antonetti, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’d put doors every 8 ft in my shed, add doors all around my house to exterior. This one is at the opposite end of other doors.

The T-111 separated when cutting the scraps to throw away. I’d really like to insulate this shed, I was thinking textured foam on outside but I really don’t know the thermal engineering aspect, I mentioned it to an energy advisor but she said no without elaborating,on my block home she recommended insulating inside the cells.

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Just filling the cavities with the pink insulating panels would make a huge difference. Rolls might be the cheaper way to go though.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

The R rating on any of that paneling is peanuts compared to the pink death. I remember I was going to do my last basement..... back when I had a basement, sigh, and almost fell over when I saw the price to insulation ratio of panels to batts.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

5. Chris 45

I was thinking the paneling would be a bit better for holding up against condensation and an occasional leak since it is a shed. Once pink death gets wet, it is petty much worthless.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Pink death is the moth to the light.

My major concern is moisture vapor, where it’s stopped/blocked, and the damage it causes. To get someone who understands the science of this on-site is unsettling.

The spray urethane is pretty awesome, we put it on in the nightclub side, then I added fire retardant to the black paint. Cost was 2.00$ a ft. Think it was called isocynene, epuipment was extremely important to clean to prevent clogging lines. Also some guys got their lungs destroyed.

I’ve seen on a Builders home they sprayed their roof on underside, I assume then that space will be conditioned. At what temp would that need to be? Same as interior space to prevent differences in temperature which causes “condensation” damage?

I know my friends parents put elastomeric on their shingles on home, years later friends brother said they had to replace 22 sheets of plywood due to moisture damage that the elastomeric wouldn’t allow the plywood to breathe.

7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Rigid is definitely better with moisture, this is for certain. I had to install my walls out from my foundation to avoid contact, then installed ventilation to move the air behind it. Sure did keep my basement toasty though :p

I am with you Mike, this crazy new world of Air tight houses and the crusade against vapor migration is a ticking time bomb. In the hope of energy saving i think we will be destroying houses in no time.

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Wen I started to finish my basement I glued the pink foam sheets to the block walls, studded it out and added the fiberglass in between the studs. Toasty!
    Did the same on a 150 year old house I owned. Had an energy check run and they couldn't figure out why I didn't get mildew on the inside.

:old:

Daris

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chris 45

If you make it air tight you create problems. The father in law blocked up the roof vents in his garage in attempts of keeping heat in during the winter and he had to replace some insulation due to condensation. Doesn’t take long for damage to be done.