Remove or go over stone

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Nfjb, Aug 22, 2020.

New flooring - go over the top of the stone or remove it?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2020.
  1. Go over top

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Remove it

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Nfjb

Nfjb Member

I want a new bathroom floor. Home remodelers have recommended leaving this floor (circa 1970) in place (see pic) and going over it with new floor. A reputable flooring business said it should be removed, but advised me (clueless homeowner) to do that myself because it would be extremely costly to have them do it. My sense is take it out, not go over, because I don't want to be the homeowner that piles layer upon layer of flooring (already dealing with that from prior owners in other areas). But I'm also unsure. The subfloor was lowered to accomodate this tile and base, so would need to be built back up. And I'm not sure how best to take it out (cut it out? With what?). I removed a half wall in this bathroom, so luckily have a good look at the thickness of the tile and what's under it (see pics). Or, if going over the floor, what kind of flooring product to use? (My thought is ceramic tile). If helpful, it will be meeting up with carpet in the hallway.

Attached Files:

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’m a rip it out and start new kinda guy

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Leave it, cover with sheet vinyl. Use ardex feather finish for any unlevel edges.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

What kind of floor are you going to be installing?

5. Nfjb

Nfjb Member

Prefer ceramic tile

6. Pull one tile now and see what separates. Looks like an agglomerate. Stone with resin. I bought a whole bunch then sold it. Didn’t like it myself after awhile.

If it’s a mudbed so be it, it’ll need another mudbed if it starts releasing.