Remove ceramic tiles, before adding floating vinyl planks??

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Joann T., Feb 27, 2014.

1. Joann T.

Joann T. New Member

Is anyone familiar with a product called AQUAFLOOR? It is vinyl, on top of fibre glass, and is installed as click-ins. Totally waterproof. I believe it is from Australia. I would love to try it since I've been told I DO NOT have to remove existing ceramic tiles. If so, it would eliminate a lot of labour, noise and dust.
    If you know this product, could you confirm above info and also indicate whether it is available in the Toronto, Ontario, area.??
    Thank you!
    Joann

2. Tom Frykman

Tom Frykman Pro Member

There's a product called Aqua Tile, a waterproof click luxury vinyl tile (LVT), but I've never installed it. You can find it online.

You may not have to remove your ceramic tile before installation, but LVT's require a smooth, flat floor - grout lines or other texture can telegraph through LVT's.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It is not only Aquafloor, I believe I have heard of it. It is LVP in general that you may go over existing well bonded tile and actually you can instal ceramic tile over your tile if you use correct methods. So if you've found the product and like the looks, it would be ok, as Tom said, still needs smooth surface to install over so it would need to be skim coated . Laminate wouldn't need any floor prep as long as additional height would not affect anything. Sometimes cabinets above fridge there's not enough clearance, though laminate isn't waterproof which I believe is one of your top concerns.

4. Joann T.

Joann T. New Member

Aquafloor

Hi Mike!

Very funny!
    Actually, Aquafloor refers to the fact that the floor will be completely waterproof and therefore highly recommended for a kitchen. From what I understand, the fact that the planks are backed with fibreglass have a lot to do with that. I'm only repeating what the flooring sales person told me. Does that make sense?
    Joann

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The Fiberglass backing probably has more to do with the stability of the product to prevent from shrinking.
    The "waterproof" aspect is the "solid "vinyl which is the whole category of luxury vinyl plank.

6. Joann T.

Joann T. New Member

Thank you, Tom. I am going to check it out. Hope it is available in my area!
    Joann

7. Joann T.

Joann T. New Member

Thank you again, Mike. That makes sense. I've decided to go ahead with it. If any problems are encountered, I'll post them for everybody's benefit.
    Joann

8. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Anybody have a link for this product?

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator