Remembering September 11, 2001

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by Jim McClain, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Calling All Angels
    by Lea MacDonald, Captain-227, South Frontenac Fire Department

and TFP member

[​IMG]

"Calling All Angels! Calling All Angels!" Went out his thunderous plea.
    "I am thy Lord beseeching my horde to assemble in front of me!"
    In a flash the angels did dash to gather at His feet,
    And hear His plan to help all man by use of Heaven's elite.

"The Devil's made a play this September day to hurt the ones I love,
    He's loosed upon earth his demonic worth now push has come to shove.
    I'll not stand by and have good men die without awareness in their heart,
    So this day in my plan-full way a battle I'm going to start."

"Gabriel old friend to this end welcome every woman and man,
    That'll come our way this fateful day who died by Satan's hand.
    And before you go you need to know a few you'll bring straight to me,
    Firefighters all now standing tall known as The Three-Forty-Three."

With Gabriel gone and quiet the throng they wondered at His plan,
    To send and quell the flames of hell by use of mortal man.
    All manner of doubt filled the strongest and stout of Heaven's holy array,
    And fear fell upon the heavenly throng at the plan the Lord set this day.

"I can sense in thy hearts hesitation to start a battle you don't understand,
    But confused as you Satan is too and that is the heart of my plan.
    Fear yea not for what I've wrought I'll ask none here to face his fork,
    But I'll send into hell those who fell the firefighters from New York!"

Then Lord raised his staff and began to laugh in roaring thunderous glee,
    And in a booming blaze they stepped from a haze The Angelic Three-Forty-Three.
    They fell into line in very short time making perfect formations of rows,
    And the Lord caused to slip onto every man's hip a golden heavenly hose.

"The gravest mistake Satan did make when he struck down these men so brave,
    Thinking idle I'd stand not extending my hand and their souls I would not save.
    Have no fear for the men standing here the way to his place they know well,
    For verily each day they've collected their pay by stepping into hell.

These men know their task now angels I ask that you hasten straight to earth,
    Then comfort their friends when the tally begins and they start to question their worth.
    Console them with wings and all heavenly things on their shoulder your head is to rest,
    Send whispers of thanks from our heavenly ranks, say: 'God knows you did your best.'"​

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Hard to believe it's been 15 years. I still year up when seeing some of the images and stories. I didn't know anyone personally involved but it sure feels like I did.

3. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

At the time my daughter lived in Brooklyn, just across the bridge. She stood outside her building giving food and water to some of the thousands streaming over the bridge to try and get away from the terror that was going on.

4. I remember that morning like it was yesterday. I walked into our building and came past our break room. I thought it was odd because the warehouse guys had the TV on and when I passed they asked if I heard about the "...small plane that hit the WTC?" I had heard a quick blurb on the radio as I was getting out of the car but hadn't really caught the details.

Went up to the office and we heard about the second plane hitting. The owner of our company had me set up a TV in the office and as the whole world began to realize what was happening we all sat and watched it unfold to our horror. When the pentagon got hit we really started freaking out. Our incoming phone lines were silent for the first and only time I can ever remember. The only call we had all day were to or from family checking on each other. I'll never forget, about 15 minutes after the Pentagon was hit, our power went out suddenly in the office for about 10 minutes. I've never felt so panic stricken wondering what was going on than those 10 minutes. Not being anywhere near NYC (we're in Indiana) we didn't know whether it was part of a wider attack or just a fluke or what. When the power came back on, the local news reported it was due to a car accident and we all felt slightly relieved.

For me personally it was several months before I began to feel more secure when out and travelling. I actually went to Surfaces the January after 9/11 and it was a pretty scaled back event compared to normal. Everyone was talking about anthrax and poisoning of water and food supplies so anything the least bit suspect - you didn't eat it. I remember going to a dinner and the served lobster bisque with the meal and it had a wierd smell. There had to be 200 bowls of soup that nobody touched. The airports were still implementing extreme security measures. You had military and police with automatic weapons and dogs patrolling the airports. You sure didn't want to set a bag down and walk away.

I also remember how we all came together for several months and we were proud to be American's again. Race kind of went out the window for awhile. People at sporting events actually began to sing the National Anthem again. We stayed closer to home and looked after our neighbors a bit more. Vacations were taken here not abroad.

Still the tragedy and loss of life, even today, is simply stunning to think about. Watching human beings be so cruel and violent to one another over religious ideologies is about the craziest and saddest thing I ever witnessed in my lifetime. I'm a Catholic. I've chosen that as my faith. Should I really have to kill a non-Catholic to strengthen my faith, just because he or she has chosen a different path. I'm really not sure that that is what God wants from us. I've read and studied about many religions. As I've said publicly before, I used to be a nurse many years ago before I came to our industry. Part of helping someone heal is to understand and help heal them through their own beliefs and faith. I'm not saying I'm perfect, quite the contrary, I'm just as susceptible to making generalizations and assumptions about what and who I don't understand. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize the futility of that way of thinking. In so many cases in my life, I've learned more and been happier when I've been open minded and accepting of others rather than closed to them.

So my wish and my way of remembering that day is that it never happen again, not because we made our country more secure or we defeated the enemy but because as people we have learned to accept each other for who we are and not we we wish each other to be. This is a monumental task, and there are many who believe completely differently, but if there is one constant in life it is change and I believe that human beings are innately gifted with the ability to change. Somehow, someway this change will be made.

To those who fell that day and to those who fell in the many conflicts that followed there lives should not be defined as tragically lost but as a noble sacrifice that someday we will truly have peace and freedom.