Refinishing Stairs

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Video Collection' started by Ken Fisher, May 7, 2014.

1. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Charter Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n6smykdrI"]Refinishing Hardwood Stairs - YouTube[/ame]

2. The Flooring Girl

The Flooring Girl Pro Member

Super job, Ken. Yes, I agree, this is a job best done by the professionals, esp since it's a high traffic area. I will add this to my Google Plus acct (but I'll link to original).

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Great video, keep 'em coming!

4. Ken Fisher

I'd love to ky, but I need contributors. That's what's holding it back. I don't install nor own a store anymore to be able to create the large number of video presentations I want. If there's anyone in the Atlanta or South Florida (Naples - Tampa) area I'd love to talk if you're interested.

I am working with a friend in Detroit at the moment, but the only way I could ever achieve this is by him providing a place to stay while doing the filming. I just don't have the finances to run around the country.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I notice all this sanding, scraping, staining and sealing was done without any kind of tape to protect the painted base, risers and stringers and get a sharp, clean line there. There's no close up of that edge but am I safe to assume those would be getting another coat of paint and that's why they weren't protected?

......or is this a process where you can get that sharp and clean edge just by being careful.

My "refinishing" work has been limited to a handful of screen and recoat jobs. I don't even recall now how I protected the walls/door casings/existing base.

6. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Great video, Ken! Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

7. Ken Fisher

Yes.

It is mentioned later in the video that it is part of a remodel and the stairs would be repainted. I asked the guys about this as I too have little experience on the finishing end. Apparently this kind of work rarely happens without a repaint job...or so that's the case with them. Who knows maybe they just walk when they get one of those kind customers? Some guys are like that.:rolleyes:

Thanks Dan. On the bored side really.

Attached Files: