Recommend an Inkjet Printer?

Discussion in 'High Tech Tools & Equipment Support' started by Jim McClain, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

My printer crapped out on me today. I don't need one very often, but it's not very convenient to put what I need to print on a thumb drive and take it to town to print it at the lib'ary for 35 cents a copy. And nothing available in town can print a good quality photo.

I checked Google, Amazon and YouTube and it just gets confusing. It has been 6 or 8 years since I bought this broken printer, so I'm kinda lost. I did see that prices for some printers are down around a hundred bucks, give or take. But ink almost doubles the price.

Do any of you have any suggestions. It should be a all-in-one, copier, scanner and printer and the printing has to be pretty decent for photos. I'm not looking for a photographic quality printer - those can be many hundreds of dollars - but good enough for printing proofs up to 8x10.

My next doctor's appointment in Reno is Monday. Best Buy has this one: Canon - PIXMA TS9120 Wireless All-In-One Printer for about $142.00 with ink. Pretty good reviews. Anyone think I should check out something else?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I went the other day to get ink. Yellow was out and wouldn’t print. Office Depot associate came up and asked to help. I say you have any sale on ink? And this is last time I’m buying ink I want an Epson Eco Tank. I want to see them if you have em. He showed me the one here. Says his wife’s a teacher and they save ? 75%? On printing. It was like 25$ more than Amazon but with their help I’ll buy it there. Some discounts I saw 15% for one thing or another promo from email. I bought black ink too but now low on cyan.

At the register the manager checks me out as I was checking her out, (kidding, checked her out while ago, made remarks that vct repair with different color looked horrible. Now they replaced those tile and briefly looked and don’t even see them) said the associate was very helpful and I’m not buying no more ink and “did I say that last time I was here?”

Also sent in a survey about the good customer service, waiting to see if I won a car(again kidding,car part!)

My thoughts were to buy a black n white printer for bulk printing, and the color quality printer for select printing, not sure who that idea would work out for.

Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer with Scanner and Copier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074V4TTY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DHytCb1ND4PEN

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Yeah, the ink refills are where they get ya.

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They are designed that way......cheap on the front end, kill ya on the back end. Just like planned obsolescence on appliances.

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I discovered some time back that ink dries up in the heads if you don't print for a month or more. Cleaning the heads when that happens is pretty difficult, even impossible with some printers. I think that's why some printers have different size/capacity ink tanks. Yeah, ink is really expensive, but 3rd-party ink is a lot cheaper and the right company can provide almost identical quality.

My current (broken) printer is an Epson, which was a replacement for another Epson that broke. I'm a little gun shy about getting another Epson, even though the last one lasted 6 or 8 years.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

My epson I have now prints about 1000 pages on one cartridge of black. That’s what people miss, sometimes the printer costs a little more upfront but will be cheaper if it uses ink more efficiently. Some printers in the same price range only print 5-600 pages on same amount of ink.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Got an Epson ET-2750 printer from Office Depot, printed about 300 pages of miscellaneous stuff, receipts, tech manuals etc. happy with everything about it.

Was able to go through about 7000 emails only about 900 more to go through.

Fuel(ink) tanks are still full.

Attached Files: