Re-waxing Concrete Floor

Discussion in 'Concrete Floor Finishes' started by Ryan0751, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Ryan0751

Ryan0751 New Member

I live in a loft with concrete floors (I'm on the first floor, so the floor is actually the slab for the building).

From what I have been told (by a concrete floor person), the floors were not "polished" using grinding and such to densify the concrete and grind down the aggregate, but rather were waxed to make them shiny.

The floor could use some refinishing after living there for seven years. In some areas, the waxy coating has some fine scratches, and in other areas (like where my office chair is placed) it seems to have worn down completely. This is particularly evident when I wash the floor, those areas the concrete is pretty obviously absorbing moisture.

I see some products online which can be applied using a mop.

I'm wondering, would this be the right approach? Wash the floor, then apply one of these wax products?

Do I need to do something like strip the floor first, then re-seal it, then apply a wax?

I'd prefer the easiest solution that will provide and acceptable result, preferably without having to rent out a buffer.

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Test a spot using non burnishing wax for vct,Terrazzo etc., the higher the solids the better quality. The floor should be super clean first and then applied thin with several coats using rayon mop due to it not shedding fibers.

• Like Like x 1