Re-using brand new carpet.

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by djd1950, Oct 29, 2017.

1. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

The townhouse three doors away from me was just sold after being on the market two weeks. The sellers/realtor installed new carpet when the unit was put on the market. It's been walked on by maybe thirty people, over the few hours of the open houses. The new owner is pulling it all out and installing engineered wood. She wants the carpet recycled or re-used somehow, and as my stairway, bedrooms and upper hallway carpeting (tactesse) is looking very shabby, I asked whether I could have it. She readily agreed. Her unit is bigger than mine - one more bedroom - and the bedrooms are not the same size. As it happens, her floor dealer also has the measurements of my rooms, as they recently installed Coretec in my bathrooms and kitchen. I realize that it may not work if, for instance, her stairway is narrower than mine, or if there isn't enough carpet to be correctly (directionally) installed in my house. Are there other considerations I should be aware of, or questions I should ask the dealer (other than the labor charge to install)? I suspect it's not top-grade goods but it's not the cheapest/worse either. I would love to replace all the carpeting with hardwood but can't afford it. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

In a situation like yours, it's even more important to get a experienced and conscientious installer. He or she would have to look at the carpet and your home to see where the pieces will work best, where new seams will have to be made and how to deal with those areas that have been most heavily trafficked. This is not a situation where a salesperson can answer many questions. Ask for a consultation and viewing with the actual installer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

Thanks, Jim. I will take your advice. When you refer to heavily trafficked areas, I assume you are talking about my existing carpet - because the new carpet hasn't had any traffic. What is the concern - I'm not following - sorry. Is it that it's important to avoid seams in those areas?

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Even though there may have been only 30 people during the open house, there is probably some evidence of traffic, which is yarn distortion. If a seam has to be made, it's best to avoid placing one of those trafficked areas next to an nontrafficked area, or the seam may be more visible.

5. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

Got it, thank you.

6. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think this has been done a lot. Back in the day I have done it a few times, even used carpet here in Florida where you had to part the sand to row cut.

It is not the same as with new carpet, there’s more handling, if it’s already rolled up then has to be unrolled, measured, looking for cutouts, planning where it will fit, I could go on and on.

Basically, it’s good for bedroom shots(different term than drinking in bedroom) or drops with excess carpet with no seams or ac/r Register cutouts. Stairs, Halls, the already cut turns into a nuisance.

If you need additional material the dyelot will not match unless it’s from same roll on retailers shelf, but highly unlikely. Just some factors.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

It can probably be done, but do expect that this isn’t an easy install. Takes considerably more work to get it right using pre-installed carpet.

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When I first started it was the norm to take up the LR and DR carpet and install in the bedrooms.
    In your case you have an extra room to make it work. Have your installer measure it all up and then you know and go for it.
    To much carpet get thrown into landfills and not recycled.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

Thank you all very much. Will go to the dealer/installer today and report back. I don't want to pay for labor and have extra seams if it is a low-quality product which won't wear well, so I may need your advice again after I can identify the carpet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If it is a low quality carpet you are talking 5 years under normal wear and tear at the most. What the hey, gets you 5 more years. Just figure up if the costs are worth it.

:old:

Daris

11. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

Went to the flooring store. They compared my bedroom sizes with the other units...mine are bigger. The carpet is very low quality. There are seams in the installation, and they said the stair carpet would not necessarily fit mine. Basically they didn't want to do it and told me the extra labor of a careful de-install would be pricey. So for all those reasons I will have my current carpet cleaned.
    For the amusement of those who live in the real world, this 1400 SQ foot
    townhouse just sold for about $705,000, complete with crappy carpet and equally crappy engineered wood throughout the first floor. We are on the water with a nice view of the Golden gate bridge. I bought my place 20 years ago today...so I am pleased and also incredulous.
    Thanks as always for the good advice.

12. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Housing is getting mental in this mad mad world we live in. I am glad, even though it is unfortunate, that you abandoned your carpet adventure. Reinstalls are never the best of fun and every one I have ever done I have regretted. What seems like a lot of carpet for a particular project never really works out the way we plan. Good on you for trying. You could always just do your stairs?? lord knows they wear pretty bad.

13. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

I suppose I could do the stairs but then where do I stop..the hallway at the top of the stairs adjoins the bedrooms. While the stair carpet is undoubtedly more compressed than other areas it looks and is cleaner because I have used a Carpetsaver runner for years. I think it's a fabulous product at a great price. Does what it claims and lasts for years.

14. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I was just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. It is just a shame to see everything head to the landfill. I am fairly certain they have to open a new one just from all the flooring I have thrown out in my career.

15. djd1950

djd1950 I Support TFP

I agree. The new homeowner really wants this carpet to be used by somebody but the stores tells me that the practice is to slice and dice it and get it out as quickly as possible. She may call Habitate for Humanity to see if they have any interest. They will remove kitchen cabinets which can be reused.
    Here's a salvage tidbit, but not about wood. I am getting a gas fireplace to replace my wood-burning one and want a new mantel shelf. I went to a local wood salvage yard which has wood from the old Bay Bridge...but it's $170 per foot. Getting a salvaged redwood one instead...less nostalgia, but about 70% cheaper.

• Informative Informative x 1