Re-carpeting Basement after flood

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Heather Z, May 25, 2017.

1. Heather Z

Heather Z Pro Member

We are getting our basement (about 1000 SF) re-carpeted after a small "flood". Our previous carpet was a very very cheap Berber.

We don't want to break-the-bank, and are trying to work within the insurance limits (but can go a bit over).

We are currently looking to choose between a Beaulieu Polyester 42oz or Dream Weaver Pure Color Soft Polyester 40oz. Any opinions if one of these is better then the other?

Also, I am told they will be installing an 8# pad...would an upgraded pad be beneficial or not?

Thanks!

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Stay away from the poly and go with the pad, how thick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Agreed ~ spend on pad, save on carpet. And spend on install. It will make any carpet, including inexpensive stuff, last much longer and resist backing breakdown. 8# rebond as a bottom limit for my tastes. Foamed rubber, even better.
    Also make sure your guys power-stretch, seal seams, and know other basic CRI or CFI standards.
    Also agreed that if you can swing it, you'll be much happier after 5 or so years with a nylon or natural fiber rather than a polyester. Poly loses its memory really quickly

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Your Berber may have been a blend of Olefin and Nylon, or Olefin(polypropylene) I'm a little Rusty on the latest fiber ratings, both good companies, not sure in the construction of each, how they will cheap ot to extract maximum profit.

I think 8lb is sufficient, basement traffic is somewhat low. Carpet to me is a Decor change item, not long term.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You would be happier with a nylon carpet.