Quick Step Laminate - NatureTek Plus

Discussion in 'Laminate Flooring Q&A' started by jradams76, Jan 16, 2020 at 8:18 AM.

1. jradams76

jradams76 New Member

My wife and I were looking at the Quick Step - NatureTek Plus Maison Oak flooring for the first floor. I measured the longest run which happens to be perpendicular to the flooring joists and its around 57'. The product says its ok to have runs a maximum of 50'. With the trend of having one flat floor and no transitions is there anything that can help minimize issues if we decide to press our luck and go for the 57' one long run. This 57' run would basically consist of two or three boards wide as it would start in the family room and go through a doorway through the kitchen and then end in the living room. I would allow up to a 1/2" space along all the walls and doorways. We do live in the Midwest so we experience all the seasons.
    If this is too risky does anyone recommend any flooring that would allow this run with no problems besides real hardwood? Or is that that only option to do something like this?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

There are a few LVP products that will allow you to eliminate transitions in sizable areas and still maintain their warranties.

3. jradams76

jradams76 New Member

Do you know any so I can check them out.

is it generally better to go with laminate over LVP? We have kids and dogs so need something that’s durable. The sun ruining the LVP was a concern as we have lots of windows. This is why we were looking at Laminate.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Smart Core Ultra at Lowe’s allows you to do up to 2500 sq ft, or something along those lines, without transitions. Lifeproof at HD allows you to do an area 100’ by 100’ without transitions. Ive pushes the limits with a few engineered hardwoods and have had no issues. You just need to know that if you push the boundaries and an issue should arise, you have no manufactures warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

This isn't warranted under all circumstances, but here's a little secret rule of thumb I'll share that some manufacturers will except...

Let's say that a product requires a maximum run of 50' without transitions and they have a 1/4" expansion gap requirement. For each additional 25' over the 50' add 1/8" to your expansion gap. So if you had a 57' foot run you'd use a 3/8" expansion around the entire perimeter. If you have an 80' run you use 1/2" expansion gap around the entire perimeter and so forth.

I know that some manufacturers will allow this as an acceptable practice even if they don't state it outright in their installation instructions. At the end of the day it's best not to tempt fate in my opinion. But if you're going to cheat stack the deck in your favor and cheat with some knowledge.;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Audacity laminate from Armstrong will allow runs of that nature without breaks so they claim

• Like Like x 1
  7. jradams76

jradams76 New Member

Thank you all for the great feedback and advice. We have some thinking to do if we want to press our luck or not. She really likes the Maison Oak.

8. jradams76

jradams76 New Member

I drew a quick diagram of our house layout and as you can see the dark orange is the area that would be 57' I'm hoping with enough of the rooms this could help offset any need for a transition or I guess it could make it worse.

upload_2020-1-17_13-30-35.png

9. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Where you're most likely to have an issue is at the doorway between the family room and kitchen and the doorway between the kitchen and the living room.

Beyond the structural movement that occurs throughout the house during the course of the annual weather cycle, the next most problematic movement source is caused by significant differences in temperature and humidity between connected spaces. Kitchens and bathrooms can experience much broader and much more rapid temperature and humidity spikes than the other rooms because of the activities that occur in them i.e. cooking, cleaning dishes, showering, etc. Those rooms will experience much greater movement in very short periods of time compared to the two adjacent rooms (family room & living room).

Again, if you're going to try and do this in one shot, add the appropriate additional spacing to the ENTIRE job not just the areas of concern. You're connecting this floor together so it's a single unit. The rooms are not and each one will experience slightly different conditions at the same time depending on what's occurring and that will result in slightly different reactions in each room. This additional expansion room is necessary to avoid problems.

Also, remember that whatever you are intending to cover that expansion space with (quarter round, base board or a combination of both) needs to NOT be resting on the flooring. It needs to be slightly above it (a couple thickness of paper for example) so that the floor is allowed to freely move as well as the structure (house, walls, cabinets, casing work, etc.). If it is bound anywhere that's where the problems will occur.

I wish you well with your project and it looks like you've got a pretty good understanding of what you're up against. Keep us posted how it turns out and please post pictures back when you get it done. We'd love to see how things worked out.

• Like Like x 1