Quick Step 12mm laminate

Discussion in 'Laminate Flooring Q&A' started by KittyL47, Jan 25, 2019.

1. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

If any of you have installed Quick Step 12 mm laminate, please give me your opinions of it. We are considering about 1000 sq. ft. for our foyer, hallway, dining room, great room and master bedroom. The Nature Tek Dominion product is the one we are looking at.
    If anyone has it installed in your home, please let me know any pros and cons.
    Thank you.

2. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

I’ve been reading some old laminate questions and answers, and had a good chuckle from the responses on one titled Sealant for Laminate Floors from 2015 I think.
    That’s being done on the locking systems of Mannington Restoration, AtroGuard, Quick Step Nature Tek and others to make them water resistant for 24 hours on the QS and 72 hours on the AtroGuard and Mannington products. Of course they’re only surface water resistant. Water that gets underneath can and probably will cause damage.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I remember seeing quickstep sign in the air at the flooring show in Vegas tied in with the large manufacturer. Names been around awhile so I assume product improvements are made and they keep that name. Like Flex seal, gorilla glue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

It’s all about the LVP now but quick step was a good brant back when I was doing a lot of laminate. I enjoyed installing it because I didn’t have problems with it like one might typically have with a cheaper brand. My customer base these days is usually middle of the road to slightly cheap people so I cringe when I get an actual laminate job because I just know it’s going to be some half assed brand that grows and shrinks like crazy between the humid and dry seasons here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

Thank you for your replies. In looking at online reviews of Quick Step, I seem to be finding more bad than good for the last few years.
    I am also looking at AtroGuard water resistant laminate that’s distributed by BPI. It’s only been around a few years so there aren’t many reviews that I have found. I have communicated with a couple of people who actually have it in their homes, and so far they’re happy with it.
    Fortunately, we don’t have to change our flooring just yet unless we have a leak, etc. so I have some time to keep looking.
    If anyone has info on AtroGuard, please post it to help in our decision. I will be asking for some samples so I can do some test on it for stain, dent and water resistance.
    Happy installing to all of you.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Quickstep is a good laminate. I have done a bit of it. Laminate is one of the best floors out there if you play by the rules.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I’m demoing Wednesday my neighbors tile in the dining room and entry. The living room is a nice laminate that got partial water damage. They’re replacing with porcelain plank.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

Porcelain plank is tough and pretty, but hard on old legs and knees. We had it our kitchen, breakfast room, laundry and sunroom in our previous house. After a couple of hours on that and I had pain.
    We’re not putting laminate in kitchen or baths and plan to use silicone caulking in the half inch expansion gap in the hallway and master bedroom on the MB side. We do plan to play by the rules and understand how very important the installation is to having a good floor.

9. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Filling a 1/2” gap around the perimeter of your room will eat up a lot of silicone in a hurry. Filling the expansion space with a backer rod and then sealing over that with silicone would be a much more cost effective way to seal up the gap. Pergo Outlast calls for this in their instructions. I don’t see why you couldn’t do that with another brand of laminate or LVP.

Personally I’d go with a LVP product over a laminate. In my own experience they have a warmer feel under bare feet and they don’t have that fake tappy sound. LVP will handle spills better too, isn’t that why you want to fill the expansion gap with silicone.

10. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

Thanks for the info on the backer rod, Chris. We will check with the manufacturer of whichever product we choose to put down just to be sure the silicone or backer rod plus silicone is okay with their warranty.
    We have looked at Coretec, AduraMax and several other brands of vinyl flooring and found it to scratch and dent more easily than the laminate we have looked at. We also have several areas that get quite a bit of sun.
    I liked a couple of the Mannington Restoration laminates, but after ordering several full planks and putting them together, we weren’t real happy with the locking system, but it resisted scratching and denting really well. Once we decide on a laminate, I will order a box or two, click it together, check for surface water resistance, how it holds up to scratching, chipping, heavy objects falling on it, and how well it stays locked together. I am interested to see how well the AtroGuard and Quick Step will hold up to this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

I just wanted to come back and say how much I enjoy reading this forum. I have gleaned a lot of info from all of you.
    I also wanted to say that with what I have learned, we’ve decided to install the SPC Rigid core product, SuperCore. We found the color and character we had been looking for over the last year.
    Again, thanks to all who contribute here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

13. KittyL47

KittyL47 I Support TFP

You are most welcome, Mr. McClain.