Question Shaw Floorte LVT

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Sami, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Sami

Sami New Member

We are considering using Shaw Luxury Vinyl Flooring, Floorte, and I'm looking for reviews from those who've had it installed or are an installer with experience with this. I'm seeing some red flags in my google search, so I'm looking for more information.

How long is it lasting?
    What problems have come up?
    Any experience with dealing with the warranty?
    Cleaning experiences?

It is supposed to be very waterproof, but I see in the warranty water exposure voids it??
  2. Shaw clearly states in the installation instructions that these planks are not "pretty water proof" but they water/moisture resistant.

This is typical for LVT or LVP (tiles or planks). The click edge is never water proof. Ever. No matter what the sales people say, they aren't.

The loss of warranty occurs when the planks are installed over concrete with[out] a vapour barrier. Concrete breaths moisture. That's why the vinyl planks require a vapour barrier (just like any floating floor system over concrete). A damp slab with a vinyl click together floor = void warranty.

These are decent floors for basements and over slabs...but they do have weaknesses. Just not big weaknesses. Just because a single plank is water proof, doesn't mean the EDGES between the planks are water proof.
  3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You mean without a vapor barrier. I have done several jobs with it. I like to cut it on a chop saw and tablesaw but being plastic like, the shavings really sticks to stuff. You can cut it with a utility knife and snap it but its tough to do that. I like it and no problems with anything. Clients really like it too.
  4. Sami

Sami New Member

kwfloors, what do you like about it, and what do your clients like? What kind of vapor barrier is the best to use with this?
  5. whatiscarpet

whatiscarpet Pro Member

Can you be more specific on the product you are considering, Brava or Grande? The product is relatively new so I have not heard anything yet about it's long term performance. Brava is similar to Chatfield which I have sold a lot of. Chatfield does not have the Water proof Core that Brava does but otherwise they are very similar. It is a good product but I would mot put it in my house. It is not particularly resistant to scratching and the 12 mil wear layer is a bit low. My boss installed a different WPC product in his garage and said that it dents easily. The core is layered PVC with resin so it might be relatively soft, it is difficult to compare across brands but WPC is similar in all products.

Sorry that was not specific, just wanted to share the info I do have on the product.
  6. Sami

Sami New Member

7. kwfloors

We have put it in commercial businesses including ours and it is resisting water and scratching well. Has some good colors and I think its better than most of the laminates we sell because of the core being not wood.
  8. whatiscarpet

whatiscarpet Pro Member

I believe you will be happy with the performance of this product in your home. It will not buckle or swell because of standing water like many laminates do. There is a small possibility of denting, but that is true of hardwood floors as well.
  9. @kwfloors...yes...the typo missed the "-out". Thanks for catching that.
  10. Jbuonopt

Jbuonopt New Member

We are looking into this as well for our below grade basement. Can it be installed as a floating floor directly on the concrete slab? Or does it need something else underneath? Does anyone have any opinion on this product versus Mannington Adura brand?
  11. jdas

jdas Member

This from the Shaw Floorte website..."Floorte™ uses high-definition printing for a hardwood or tile look that is highly authentic. Its FOLD N GO™ locking system is precision-engineered for an easy installation. Floorté™ floors are also strong, durable, flexible—concealing imperfections of the floor beneath—and waterproof, making Floorté™ a great flooring option on and below ground level.

Floorte’s waterproof qualities make it ideal for high-moisture areas like basements, bathrooms, and mudrooms. “We’ve been amazed at Floorte’s waterproof characteristics even after weeks and weeks of testing in the water,” says Drew Hash, director of hard surfaces."
  12. kwfloors

I think it can but we are installing it with an underlayment to keep it separated from the surface we are going over. Its a very thin underlay that deadens sound good.
  13. j248

j248 I Support TFP

I still don't it waterproof when is vinyl is waterproof understand as is plastic. WPC is wood plastic composite, and that changed to water proof core for marketing purposes i would assume.