Question in the middle of a pretty big project

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by frank I, Nov 17, 2015.

1. frank I

frank I Member

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the middle of a flooring project. I am installing 5x72 Bamboo that is 9/16th thick. It is tongue and groove, being nailed down with 16 gauge cleats.

I attached some pictures of my progress so far. I started off going down that long hallway (left side of pics). You look right down it when you come in the house, so I figured having everything appear very straight down that hallway (it's 46ft) was most important. I have now transferred over into that red dining room. From my measurements, I have stayed straight and true with my first row down the hall way (which was near the left edge of that half wall) but I am out of square with the wall at the unfinished side of the dining room.

The dinning room is 23.5 ft x 11 ft, and I am 94in from the wall at one end of the room and 94 3/4in from it at the other end.

So, I am wondering if that is enough of a difference to worry about ? If so, what would be the best method to "steer" the floor straight with the wall ?

Thanks a ton

Attached Files:

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Divide your 94 inches by the width of the plank (5"), your last one will be cut down to 4" at one end of the room and 4 3/4" at the other.

No one will notice the difference!!;)

3. frank I

frank I Member

Thanks for the quick response ! This is the best forum I have ever been on.

I suspected the answer was no one would notice and don't worry, but didn't want to find out I was wrong the hard way.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Elmer's correct. You will be filling the room with furniture, some of it probably along that wall. No one will be able to see you were off 3/4 of an inch.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

not much tweaking can be done in field, all this would be pre planned, once you find your straight, square walls, all others will be "off or out of square."

6. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Yup - it's the builder of the home, not you!

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Exterior wall and side wall today, could not start with full 2' carpet tiles, wall was 1" out of square. Usually the wall is also not straight, I lay 8-12 ft straightedges along walls to find a point where I can put my tape measure against. So this development (country club) we are working in, nothing has changed in 30 years, still poor quality workmanship.

8. frank I

frank I Member

Back with another question

Hi again to everyone on this forum. Thanks to everyone for the answers yesterday.

I made some good progress today and finished off the dining room. I included some update pics. Now I am continuing in the hallway. I will shortly be butting up against the stair nose you see in the picture.

The stairs are a project for a little later on, so I want to use the existing stair nose, which is not grooved. What I am thinking is, is to just cut a piece that butts right up flush with the stair nose, PL it to the floor and face nail it.

Would that be my best solution or is there something else I should consider doing ?

Attached Files:

9. Mill-End

Mill-End Pro Member

Beautiful floor. Going up against a nose can be tricky especially if you get there and have a 1/4 gap to fill. Hopefully you won't and you could just rip the board nice and straight on a table saw. Trying to get a perfectly tight piece can be trick as it needs to angle down in and the bottom of the board will want to catch your nose.

I've done a couple different things here. When ripping the board you can bevel the cut inward slightly so the bottom of the board misses the nose. Or most of the time I'll rip the board then rip the bottom lip of the groove off so the board will slide straight down in. Glue the tongue and face nail.

Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your project. Looking good so far.

10. frank I

frank I Member

Thanks for the reply.

I am in that situation where I have a 1/4 inch board to fit.

I had thought of both of your suggestions. I will be putting one in to practice today. Today I should finish this entire floor, upstairs is next.

I'll report back.

Attached Files:

11. Jim McClain

Frank, you're obviously holding your phone upside down. Try holding it the other way and see how the photos post.

12. frank I

frank I Member

I've been holding my phone the right way.......Not sure why that is happening. They are right side up on my PC before I upload them...... I have Windows 10, maybe that is somehow causing the issue

13. Jim McClain

Try it holding the phone the other way and see if they aren't still right-side up on your computer AND right-side up on the forum.

14. Mill-End

Mill-End Pro Member

I've had problems in the past on other forums where if my photos are at the max size allowed they flip upside down. I crop them down as much as I can before uploading and they are fine.

15. frank I

frank I Member

All finished on this floor now.

I uploaded a couple final pics.

I tried a smaller size in hopes of getting them to upload in the right orientation (even held my phone upside down as suggested by Jim) but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments

Attached Files:

16. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Pro Member

Looks great - nice work!
    :good:

17. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

Interestingly enough, if I click twice on the pictures they open on their own page properly oriented. This is on a desktop computer, not sure if it works on a phone or tablet.