Question about luxury vinyl plank vs ceramic.

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by edteach, Sep 25, 2017.

1. edteach

edteach Pro Member

My wife and I are moving to a home in Arkansas. It has good hard wood and ceramic in most of the house. The three beds have older carpet that is worn and in one we will just put in new carpet. The other two master and what will be an office she wants planking. She had wanted Ceramic no problem but she saw life proof LV at HD and liked it. I have dealt with laminate over the years and its junk. For a bit they made the plastic core with epoxy glue but that had issues and I have not seen it in years. Now the newer LV seems to be taking the world by storm. I know it will gouge much easier then ceramic. Cost is not really much different, Installation would be a lot quicker. Does anyone know a pros and cons they can give me? We are leaning to the ceramic. I know what that will do and how it will last. I remember when they told us laminate was the end all back in the 90s. Thanks.

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

LVP is taking the world by storm. What people are not informed of are the strong limitations. Be it free floating or a glue down product the preparation it requires to look good is immense. Flat is flawless, anything else is just flawed. Many of the products are highly sensitive to direct sunlight, or swings in temperature. Water proof? Sure the product is, but the install is not. Being non-permeable water will get under the floor and never get out, mold bad! I know this from experience. When i say you have a moisture issue and you say "ya ya ya" don't say i didn't warn you :)

On a positive note, under the proper conditions, those floors look amazing. We are installing miles (kilometers up here) of the stuff lately. It has a warm look, most are very embossed and etched allowing for a nicer look than sheet and when installed properly can last a life time. They don't damage easily, sharp objects will surely damage the surface but that is true of anything. When damaged they are easy to replace.

Not knowing your skill level, i would safely assume that an LVP installation can be undertaken by most people in non-demanding situations, such as non joining single rooms (you know, like bedrooms) with success.

We all know ceramics. Hard, Cold and SEXY!
    Install is surely a lot harder, and typically expensive. Not to mention is is a giant PITA to get it out if you don't like it down the road.

Personally i would roll the dice and give the LVP a shot, if you like a color or style why not? If you have the conditions for it, you wont be disappointed in the end.... and if you are, take it all back to the HD, make up some like that it doesn't work and off you go!! Receipts are Golden when they are colored Orange :)

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I would go by feel, you know like psychics in a room, stand there and imagine what you want to feel, the "vibe" you get.

Did it yesterday for a friend after work. He has breathing issues and a dog(for now). The dog has gone on the carpet a few times and he cleaned it diligently, though he cut out sections around the furniture in the bedrooms. Asked for my advice on his choices. Suggested gluedown vinyl for some rooms, but living room/entry/kitchen has a tile path that he wants porcelain plank to match height.

I think he may go with also suggested the "life proof" (oxymoron) carpet so the urine doesn't get into backing/pad/slab.

4. edteach

edteach Pro Member

I think we are leaning to ceramic. I have installed it for years and know what it is. PITA to install correct. Dirty correct. But once done its done.

5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

When you don't have to rush and you're going to be living with the results, the job comes out much better! Crack suppression if needed and flat floor to avoid lippage issues (increases with plank shape)along with maybe a minimum porosity grout like no Portland/hydraulic type! Then down the line it's a matter of updating.

6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I'd just like to throw in an idea here: Armstrong Alterna or Congoleum Duraceramic - they're LVT products that look like tile and can even be grouted. The big advantage is they're not quite as hard on the knees and back, plus they're a good deal warmer than ceramic. Install is pretty easy - though the grout process is not like grouting ceramic.

We have this in our store, and roll office chairs over it all day. It still looks incredible after a few years.

• Like Like x 1