Question about cleats and staples.

Discussion in 'Hardwood & Laminate Sales and Installations' started by asevereid, Nov 16, 2015.

1. asevereid

asevereid Adam the FNG

I'm currently working on a prefinished hardwood flooring job and I've been fastening the product down so far with cleats through 1/4" underlay into the existing plank sub floor.
    I've come to a transition in the home where an addition was built using 5/8 osb sub flooring.
    Should I switch to staples for this section?

Basically, what is the best practice for fastening in to osb?

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Some guys like staples in OSB and cleats in plywood. I cleat both and have no issues

3. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

I use cleats on both with no issues. But i prefer cleats.

4. In "theory" the cleats should do a better job with OSB. OSB likes to shrink back away from nails and staples (especially smooth shanks). With the cleat's aggresive profile, it should "hold" (nasty profiles on those things) better.

That's the "theory" anyway. The real life issues with OSB and shrinking is outside my level of theory (I read...a lot...I don't install). The "boots on the ground" guys will have a much better working knowledge of this than I. Good question!

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The testing (from several state Universities) says that staples hold better short term. Possibly because of having two legs, while the cleats are better long term. However after 3-5 years there is almost NO difference.

My experience with OSB that has been subjected to moisture or damage is that cleats are far superior!:yesss:

6. asevereid

asevereid Adam the FNG

Excellent.
    Thanks, all of you.
    I'll stick with the cleats... Which is good because I don't really like my stapler anyways :-D

7. Thanks Elmer! I appreciate the feed back on OSB with cleats vs. staples. To me it makes sense...but university studies always help to prove the theory.
    TTFN:D

8. wood butcher

wood butcher Charter Member

You shouldn't mix fasteners on any one floor. If you've started with cleats then continue with cleats.

• Like Like x 1