Quarry tile

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Don Monfils, May 12, 2019.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I have a job this week ,where I have to install some 6”x6” quarry tile.
    It is being installed over concrete with Laticrete 264 thinset and permacolor grout. I have installed quite a lot of ceramic/porcelain tiles over the years.
    But I have never installed quarry tile. I was planning on using a 1/4 x 3/8” trowel. I just picked up a Milwaukee cordless mud mixer ( i’m looking forward to trying that out )
    Is there anything I should know that would make installing the quarry tile any different than the ceramic or porcelain that I have installed in the past ?
    I have a MK101 and a grinder with a diamond wheel. I also have a sigma snap cutter, but I assume the quarry tiles would not be able to be cut with the snap cutter.
    Any of your input would be appreciated

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Sure snap cutter will work. May cut better perpendicular to the backing. Usually they're set with a rack for speed,precision. They can air bubble the grout when mixed thin and it fills in voids underneath. and sometimes a pregrout sealer is used.

When a grid rack is not used an l shape straightedge held at an angle in between the joints helps to line them up better.

How many square ft? What base are you using? Some buts to tile, others over top. We couldn’t start a job in Connecticut till we had the base onhand.

They’re kinda easy to set, usually rests right on slab, try to keep flat.

Ron’s probably beat working up in Georgia, he’s probably got some good tips. I wouldn’t sweat it a bit.

3. Don Monfils

462 sq. ft.
    I just planned on making a grid with chalk lines . The base is just a bull nose piece that is to be set on top of the tile.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I remember seeing the guys using a gridded frame about 4' x 6' to space the tiles. Always used the bigger wet saw that drew so much power the lights would flicker every time they cut. Often it would trip the breakers on the temp power box. We had to get them on their own circuit.

5. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Me and my guy installed right at 1,470 sf in 3 days and one day to grout
    Used our tile rack and use a snap cutter and the wet saw around the drains
    We always just run the longest runs
    Our base we had to cut to
    Just keep it square and all will be good
    We did seal it before grouting makes cleaning up a lot easier
    Had 1/4 joints and got about 50 sf per bag on custom grout

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mike Antonetti

The tile racks work great, just tuck it to bottom left corner(wiggle room inside square)

Without one, a 4’ straightedge that’s 1/8” thick held at an angle can do the final adjustments. It rests on the lower row, tilts into the joint, and you pull to straightedge to get those slight tilts straightened.

Once you get a handle for those tile racks, it’s hard to go back to the chalking out grid way. Yes, extremely important to stay square. Doesn’t make a good day being out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don Monfils

That sounds like it would be a handy thing to have. Problem is I’m starting the job tomorrow.

9. Mike Antonetti

Not sure if there’s tricks for measuring the last cut up against the base, but a job we did a few years back the cuts looked non consistent.

Quarry is kinda easy to work with, softer than porcelain. By using the tile cutter, you may need the edge of the tile filed to make it smooth and straight. Maybe a sanding block.(rub brick)

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  10. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

These guys have the hardest quarry tile each cut is wet saw my lord they made some with the old metal in the top coat spark fly off the wet saw and mess up a blade fast
    Our Products | Iron Rock - Brick and Tile

• Like Like x 1