Quarry tile removal

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by JayP, Feb 5, 2019.

1. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Hi guys. I’m going to look at a job in the next couple of days. Friend of a friend just bought a restaurant and wants the kitchen redone. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for price/sf for quarry tile removal on a slab.

I know prices can differ drastically depending on region - I’m in New England if that helps.

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Depending on a lot of things for me
    How many square feet ? Is it down with just thinset or epoxy thinset?
    Are you also going to grind down the old thinset. I guess it has quarry tile base so that will need to be removed are the walls block or sheet rock
    I’ve pulled base off and like one foot up the wall comes off from water damage

If I was tossing out a number 3-4 sf
    Plus a dumpster if needed

3. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes lots of variables, some of which I won’t know until I look at it or even start it.

On another note, if he decides to leave it and cover it with a vinyl product, don’t you have to do something to quarry tile before leveling it. I’ve never done it but I have heard you need to prime the floor, or put an additive in the leveler. Anyone know what I’m trying to say?

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

5. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

You're going to want to give it a really thorough cleaning before leveling/patching. Quarry tile in restaurants are usually greasy as hell & will prevent a good bond.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Okay thank you guys for the info, I appreciate it.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Square footage? sound solid? (Mud bed,water infiltration?) why they want it demo’d? What tools do you have to accomplish the task? There’s many things to consider. Probably over your head. But, it’s good to formulate in case you want to consider in future.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I did a kitchen that had 1000 sf of tile to remove and the guys I first hired were going to do it with a ride on scraper which they never got it to run when the time came. They were charging about a buck a foot but did it by air chisels and grinder. What are they replacing it with?

9. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Not sure yet. I spoke with the owner on the phone today and he is from France so there is a bit of a language barrier over the phone. I will be meeting him in person sometime this week and if I get the job I’ll update.

Why would you assume it’s over my head? I’ve done plenty of removal jobs in the past working for other companies, but was never involved in any billing...

10. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

$3.50 a ft is what I’d charge, always good to get a spot to test before giving a final number. Probably not over your head, just hire some extra hands to haul tile out. Of course if there’s a super tight deadline that might change.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mike Antonetti

How much were you paid? How are you paying the help?

Too many unknown factors to establish a cost. Preliminary stages timeframe? How fast do they want removed? (Manpower) do they want you to furnish the new? And install?

It’s definitely 3-4$ a Ft. To start, then calculate to base the manhours. If you make out ok good, of it hurts you learn it once.

12. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Thanks Kyle, that’s a good suggestion about the spot test. Also about the extra hands. I have one full time helper, and a couple go to guys to fill in on bigger jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Trust and believe, I’ve had a few painful lessons since I went out on my own

• Like Like x 2
  14. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Local job service is good to get some manual laborers

15. Mike Antonetti

Spot tests are just that “spot” definitely useful to see the bond to quarry, the hardness of epoxy/Portland and the bond to slab/contaminates.

I was asked to grind concrete near a dishwashing area where we demo’d carpet/quarry in a restaurant. I knew nothing would bond as grease has been there for years. I declined. That building is now demolished and a WaWa is going up. I see 3 or 4 in our area, they can’t build em fast enough.

Dam, my point, one spot test was down solid, another area was separated. Gluedown vinyl over prepped quarry for lunchroom would not have been good. Always nice to be able to start from solid slab.

16. Mike Antonetti

The price is somewhat more personal versus region. It’s a “guide” but if you look up pricing per region there are wide ranges. I look at them and say you don’t have a clue. Demo pricing is not structured, it’s fluid.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mike Antonetti

Let me clarify “I look at them and say you don’t have a clue”

I google prices of Tile Demolition, it’s my field and I research somewhat. Not sure what sites I read years ago maybe blue book? Contractor pricing who knows, but they varied widely. Some were pretty high and I couldn’t get those rates. Therefor my head reply to self, whatever that’s called.” They” being the writers/info gatherers “haven’t a clue”

So I’ll post a safety warning, maybe Jim can post the standard paragraph. It’s to be taken seriously. Breathing Silica dust causes silicosis which can lead to premature death. I knew people.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Fluid- that is the way every job should be quoted. You never know what you will run into.

:old:

Daris

19. Mike Antonetti

I agree Daris. I prefer “site assessment” than stating a price over the phone/net.

20. JayP

JayP Pro Member

Agreed. Unfortunately, 9/10 customers I run into want a firm price rather than an estimate.