ProInstaller Magazine: what a disappointment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I subscribe to ProInstaller Magazine and was sent a link to the latest issue. It's a huge disappointment because it's almost all advertisements. Even the "articles" are written by product manufacturers, representatives and marketing agents. Each one is biased toward their own products. There is a distinct lack of actual pro installer participation. Robert Varden's article about patching carpet on the last page is a very rare exception.

I subscribe to many paper magazines and online magazines. All of them have content written by professionals and enthusiasts who have hands-on experience with the products and procedures they write about. I understand that advertising is what allows these magazines to be low or no cost to the reader, so I expect a fair amount of ads. But this issue is 99+% of marketing hype.

What a shame. :(

2. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Maybe no Pro would write anything for them? :)
    I am certain I wouldn't write anything as that's not my style

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Advertisements are killing me on some things like YouTube, when I google something I want information, not a commercial. Some commercials I love and can watch over and over. Usually the teasers about upcoming stories (tv)that try to get you to watch commercials or they'll play at end of show I'll change the channel immediately.

That magazine had some good articles, I was impressed. It's still quarterly? There's a certain show I watch that has a ton of commercials, I told the wife it's due to her salary and staff, wife googled her salary, 7 mil a year.

I don't mind paper advertisements if they are informative or helpful, also, I don't have much time to be bogged down reading magazines, so if I can browse through a magazine in a half hour and throw it out instead of piling up it is effective. Just today I went thru consumer reports and almost made it thru Treatment Plant Operator when there was a story about the Flint water, it went on the pile for some day when I have time.

I also think about TFP when browsing Google and they play commercials. I say hmm, Jim's site doesn't force me to go through advertisements.

4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Google is an advertising company, and a great one at that.

5. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

I feel the same way Jim. I get that magazine as well and I've noticed that almost all of the articles are written by someone from the manufacturer. After I read something like that and notice who it's written by I feel like I just watched an infomercial thinking it was a real TV show. Sort of feel cheated. :ohno:

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Has anyone ever submitted an article and asked to have it published? Hard to bash them until you have been rejected, just sayin!

Maybe invite them over here for some ideas.;)

7. Mike Antonetti

DanL hasn't been here nor participated since Jan 2015. (Publisher) they came on strong, a little advertising dollars are good. FCI magazine is getting better with Namba onboard, all in all I think the health of the industry is getting better.

8. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Mike is right, Dan Lipman, co-founder of ProInstaller Magazine, is a member, but has posted only twice. You may be experiencing a little brain-fade, but if you try to recall, back in 2014, you were copied to in a bunch of emails back and forth with Dan about a TFP sponsored forum. I never asked for money. He promised a link from his site to ours, but never came through. He was going to enlist some of his friends, who are members of TFP, and some of his sponsors to populate a dedicated forum for the magazine. Never happened. He did, however, express some consternation over topics about his chief rival and competitor, FCI. He asked that at least one of those topics be deleted. That's not how it works here.

To ProInstaller and any other organization or potential sponsor of a dedicated forum: You can control the content of your OWN forum here on TFP, but I will not delete or censor TFP members' posts or topics regarding your competitors. I can move them to another forum to honor my commitment to you and your dedicated forum, but I have a higher commitment to the professionals participating on TFP not to censor their opinions, as long as they follow our rules (which you must also abide by).

For over 10 years, flooring professionals have been supporting The Floor Pro Community, and in doing so, supporting the floorcovering industry. They share their knowledge and experience, even in the face of strong competition among fellow members. It works. We have become a community and we have become better because of it or in spite of it.

Jim

9. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

That's awesome Jim and one of the main reasons I'm here - and only here. There's room for everyone here and if you can't take a little competition, maybe you're not cut out to be in business. I've always marveled at people who can't take criticism without getting angry to the point they "take their ball and go home". This place is here to help support people inside and outside the industry to the best of all of our abilities. It should be a win-win for anybody who chooses to participate. The person who needs help gets the help they need and the people who are providing the help learn about different approaches to solving problems. We all learn, we all grow, we all get better. I enjoy my time here and if I can help someone - even better. None of us know it all - there's just to much to know and it changes daily.

Thanks Jim, for this place and thanks for running it the way you do!:yesss:

10. Mike Antonetti

This guy^ is a talker no? (CFR) I agree, I just heard somewhere that people don't like criticism. I personally don't get it, I think it does make us all stronger.

Sorry CFR, that's not criticism, appreciate your input.

I do not understand why everyone is not here participating, maybe competition reasons, not allowed to because of company policy, etc.

Can anyone list more reasons why they lurk and not sign up and throw their two chips in? You know me, I can't not post something, even if it's a "like" in an Axminster topic.

11. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My thinking as well as I mentioned above
    When I was involved with the Flooring assoc her the members said the association was useless as the assoc did nothing for the members
    Well get onto the committie and sort them out
    Never hear from them again

12. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

I submitted something to Hardwood Floors Magazine once. June/July 2010, page 27. Didn't realize that was six years ago already.

Hardwood Floors Magazine Digital Issue

13. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

i subsricbed thinking id get installation tips and tricks, No not really just ads.

i subscribed to the retail mag too, thinking it would be sales tips and product knowledge articles, nah, just ads and talks about what big corporations are doing, who there new CEO is ect, nothing that is really going to help me

14. Mike Antonetti

I agree, I think it was flooring weekly, about the CEO bs and where they are now working. What does that matter to me that your getting 200,000( higher)a year with a smile on your face.