Pro knees fitment

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Chris Sharpless, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Chris Sharpless

Chris Sharpless Pro Member

Hello everybody,
    My name is Chris. I've been installing carpet, laminate, wood, vinyl and commercial goods for 25 years now. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy some pro knees. I've always heard that you should buy them an inch taller. So, what do you guys recommend? Thanks.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

What would be the purpose of buying them an inch taller? Makes me wonder if someone didn’t correctly measure for them. I bought mine the proper size and never looked back. I just told my helper that if he didn’t piss me off for the next 30 days that I would buy him a pair. Talk about motivation. Now if I could just get him to take a crap before we get to the customers house... Well, I got some work to do.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Same as above about the size. Had mine since mid 90's always bought the right size. I know many who have them but have never heard a recommendation to get anything but the right size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I also bought my guy a pair, no one should install without proknees!!

I ordered mine sized correctly and also never looked back, i have replaced my pads once and got one pair for free and i dont even know what size they are and they still work great. The only issue you will have is you did not order them 24 years 11 months ago

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Mine fit perfectly following their instructions on how to measure for them. I'm about due for some new skin though.

I was apprehensive at first too. But I haven't had to hobble in my front door after work in over 3 years. Best money ever spent. They take a few weeks to get used to but totally worth it!

6. Mark Brown

Oh how i remember rolling all over the floor...
    Ever gone down on your knees like you had your proknees on to realize you arent wearing them>? That is a pain i could live without

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I’d like someone to fit them for me, I’m due for new pair instead of refurbishing. I’d like that flash sale to come around again but I don’t know what size to order. If anything I think shorter on the top I believe when kneeling they’re out too far.

8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

9. Mark Brown

You gotta get a proper set of the proknees man, nothing compares

10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You might like them but I definitely don't. The pad is to short for me and only covers part of the knee and the edge rides on a surgical scar. Also the velcro on the ends of the strap catches on commercial loop and pulls. I do wear them upside down when I haven't got my Proknee 16's with me which is very seldom as I have 2 pr. Can't wear the long PK's because of a skin problem wear the strap goes around the lower leg.

:old:

Daris

11. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I use the crain pads for kicking on stairs. I did make the horrible mistake of ordering my second set of prokneees a size too small. They aren’t as comfortable when they don’t fit right. If in doubt go the next inch size up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Chris 45

I knew I would never remember the details so I took a picture of the box. Comes in handy for ordering the correct replacement parts. I go through a set of skins n liners about every 6 months or so.
    2085EBAC-F0AA-47BE-AA14-B04832B87628.jpeg DC23782D-41B3-43CC-869B-9B639BF9F41E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mark Brown

Not just another pretty face. Thats smart!

14. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I like the thicker padding. What’s the G?

Thought I saw somewhere that they fit you at a flooring supply house?

15. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What are you doing to wear them that fast. My stepson works commercial and he glued a piece of laminate on the face of the pads. Says they don't wear out and he can slide much easier and faster when gluing.

:old:

Daris

16. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I generally get 4-5 years out of them

17. Chris 45

Maybe I’m just a knee dragger. Better to have to buy new liners n skins than to have knee surgery.

18. Mark Brown

its all that click plank you have been doing. The only thing working hard any more is your knee pads chris :p

See us carpet guys wreck out bodies, not our proknees, saves money lol

19. Chris 45

My plan is working out perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

D81967BA-2E78-456A-A62A-B2DEBBB09CC2.png KW, I used to use the comfort new pads for years. I loved them. A couple years ago I ordered two pairs of the black ones which were supposed be better.
    In my experience the new ones are no longer very good. The material the padding is made out of does not last nearly as long as they used to ( mine bottomed out in no time),The face of the new pads tear and rip out very quickly, and the straps do not hold them securely to your knees and you’re constantly readjusting them.
    I have been a pro knee guy for a few years now, and absolutely love them.

Chris that’s pretty nasty if your helper has to crap every day at customers houses. I know a installer like that , I think he just rolls out of bed and goes to work ( he probably still has wrinkles on his face from the pillow) he has to poop within 15 minutes of walking into the customers house. He stinks the whole house up like raw sewage. He leaves a bad taste in people’s mouth, literally.
    I think I could count on one hand how many times I have pooped at customers house, in 32 years.

• Agree Agree x 1