Pounding a finger instead of tackstrip nail

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Lib McYennik, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Lib McYennik

Lib McYennik Pro Member

Ever hit your finger or thump while nailing strip on concrete?
    One time years ago when I was an apprentice we were doing a house that was all on concrete...At the time I was using a 28oz Plumb framing axe...you know the ones with the waffle type head?...Anyways it was Friday and I was on vacation as soon as we were done..During the stripping mode I rared back and boom!...hit my thump square on..it became part of the tackstrip...it just flattened my thump..it hurt so bad! Anyways I struggled thru the job but we got it done...That afternoon my wife and I drove from San Jose to Oregon to visit my brother and his family...When we got there I was in so much pain my thump was throbbing and felt like it was going to explode everytime my heart beat...My brother gave me a small drill bit and told me to start drilling my thump nail witb my other hand..At that point I was willing to do anything!..I started drilling very gently spinning the bit back and forth...It took about 15 minutes or so...when i got thru the nail blood squirted like a volcano erupting! After that the pain was gone!
    Something I will never ever forget!
    How about you guys, ever do anything that stupid?

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The real bitch of it is when you go bck after it quits throbbing a little and the very first swing you hit it again. Don't ask me how I know.

:old:

Daris

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Interesting NEW topic. :D

4. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

As long as I can remember growing up on the farm, every time you mashed your finger Dad would make us children put our finger in the vise just tight enough to hold it and he would take the electric drill and drill it until it squirted. :eek: One day I mashed my finger and off to the vise we went. I got it positioned just right and Dad started drilling! Do you know if you drill through your fingernail deep enough you hit a layer of skin like flesh? It wrapped around the drill bit and left me screaming!!! No more drill for me! I use a utility knife and just twirl it around on the point with my other hand until it goes through the nail.

5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Torture on top of pain? I've hit my finger more times than I want to remember, but I never drilled a hole in it afterward. :eek:

6. Daris Mulkin

You can poke a hole in a nail with a hot needle also.

Daris

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I thought he made himself quite clear that he only thumped his thump once.

8. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes Senior Member Published

I had a doctor poke my thumb with a paperclip after he sterilized it over an alcohol lamp. It was red hot and went through my thumbnail like a hot knife through butter. I was 9 years old and 20 years later I was doing roadie work and a piece of 3/4" plywood fell on my toe. It swelled up good and hurt like heck but i knew the medical procedure and I doctored my own toe. Taking the pressure off is always a good idea...now if I could just convince the wife...:yesss:

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

If ya ever have too much pressure (blood) under the nail, take your utility blade and shave the nail just enough to make a hole for the blood to escape. Same principle as drilling, yet less of a chance that you are going to cause an extreme amount of pain if that drill bit slips.

I have only hit my finger once or twice, and somehow you manage to bang up that same finger a lot throughout the course of the day. Always while putting in concrete tackstrip too.

10. getoverit

getoverit Pro Member

The heated needle is the best way. I used a paper clip when I did it cause I was worried about the needle stabbing me as it went through the nail. Your finger and toenails are the same material as hair and the hot metal will melt right through and relieve the pressure instantly. Plus its sterile from the heat.

11. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I've done that a long time ago, almost forgot about it thanks, then it's annoying waiting for the dead nail to travel and new one to fill in.

12. HeatWeldingPro

HeatWeldingPro Pro Member

Yikes! Ive smashed my finger and almost cut the whole thing off once but I never had to drill in hole through my nail. Also that farm story sounds like something out of a horror film. Great new thread.

13. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

About a year ago, I received a phone call from the shop that really pissed me off. I should have gone outside for a smoke, but instead, continued nailing gripper. The next strike took out my thumb and the tip exploded all over the wall. I didn't have pressure issues, but of course, lost the nail. It has grown back now, but I have lost about 40% of feeling in that digit.

Deb

14. Daris Mulkin

Think of it this way Deb, if you hit it again it won't hurt as much.
    If anyone is looking for sympathy it is in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. My ex partner used to tell me that all the time when I was whining.

Daris

15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

It's a good point Deb brings up though, accidents happen when your thinking about other things, and sometimes it hurts to get your attention back to what your doing.

16. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Does Debbie have Anger Issues ? :p .........Don't we all, lmao

When we have negative thoughts, chances are something negative will happen, like maybe, blood exploding :p ....................OK, Who feels like throwing up ?? because what I'm about to say may actually provoke a gag reflex, lmao :p .............. Live life with the love of what you want, rather than the fear of what you don't want.........Let me tell ya, when
    I first started anger management classes, I felt like vomiting after hearing the LOooooove word, but by the end, it made perfect sense and explained my bad behaviors / dis-fuctions.......... Try it, in all phases of your life, you may be surprised with the results.

Still struggling myself, but like to share, good luck !!

PS> Pop couched me with the hot needle method, it was slow and torturous, but eventually it did the trick. Years latter, the second time, I went to the ER and they drilled through the nail, it was very quick , with much less pain.

Peace !
    Mike

17. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Are we still talking about finger and toe nails.................or could it be, some other body part ? :eek: :eek: :eek: lmao

Sorry!! one Vodka, and two glasses of wine

Good Night all

Mike

18. mcbrides

mcbrides Canadian Installers Senior Member

No, Mike, I don't have anger issues, but I will not put up with stupidity or laziness. The caller, in that particular case, is damned lucky that Dave and/or I haven't taken him out to the parking lot and beaten the crap out of him. Instead, we walked out 2 weeks ago and moved on to another shop in the Peg. Had enough of politics and bullsh*t.

And PLEASE call me Deb. I haven't been called by the other variation since I was a kid, and as an adult, the name reminds me of a large breasted blonde with no brains. I'm not there. ;) :eek: :eh:

19. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

I went to the doctor and he took a hollow needle from a syringe and poked it under my fingernail. When he finally got to the throbbing blood reservoir, blood zigzagged up the front of his jacket and over his shoulder hitting the far-wall of the exam room. The placed looked like a crime scene. Instant relief tho, I could have kissed the old bastard right on his cheek but it was bloody too.

I still get the willies thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014