Potential Issues?

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Mike Antonetti, Jun 7, 2020.

1. This may go down in a commercial establishment @ 4000 ft one room. I bid to remove adhesive and grind slab to accept a concrete stain but they may not accept the bid and just put this floating vinyl over probably 6 mil sheet plastic.

Not sure if Floor is flat, just need opinions if they don’t use vapor barrier, or issues with adhesive residue. They may scrape as well, would there be sound issues?(attached foam) The adhesive is semi brittle. Staining issues if the barrier isn’t used.

If they don’t provide expansion what will be the issues? What does it end up looking like, cupping?

Want to know down the road if they made the wrong decision and will have to spend mo money.

Attached Files:

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

99% chance if there’s not major moisture issues they’ll be just fine!

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

The existing floor looks kinda interesting already. Clear coat it. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jim, You’re about as twisted as this decorators wallpaper at Bally’s down the corridor to their convention center.

Kyle who does your odds? Stop betting till you get some guidance, has to be lower.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

You know what can go wrong. It’s a matter of playing the odds and getting a sweet 4000’ job or being safe and sitting on the couch. I would present the customer with options and reasons for the additional precautions then let them make the call. I use a Tramex for my concrete moisture readings. If it’s high then that let’s me know we need to proceed to the next step of real moisture testing and mitigation if necessary.

02D60059-3072-459C-B10A-0225809ED1A1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Not my job, I only bid on the adhesive removal for stain. I assume it’s an inside job or the GC has some people.

I’ll inquire tomorrow to see if he’s ready for me to start.

Then the truth will come out.

I have the Tramex encounter.

Here’s a job I didn’t get that I continued to keep in contact with the customer. If I can get details or the time to keep in contact as I do now I need to know my decisions are correct.

Without a picture and a copy/post and party anonymous but doesn’t look legit in my opinion here’s the email I got:

(Named company removed) was a nightmare and was anything but dustless , rather their website should say dust-full and exhaust fumes full... along with damage to the interior (drywall, running into wood columns, blood on the walls) and exterior (cement, oil on pavers from machines, driving on our lawn while wet, etc) that does not include baseboards as we expected that, I plan to ensure he never trashes anyone else’s home again. I’m sure I’ll be cleaning up dust for the next month, walls are 10’ so it’s going to take awhile. Very sorry we didn’t use you and I plan to give the tile guy who recommended him a serious come to Jesus. “

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  7. kylenelson

I was told from a rep that out of the 2 million ft a month of wpc sold they have virtually no claims. Sounds like 99% to me, especially in relation to other flooring types

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You dont believe the garbage reps tell you do you?

I had an armstrong rep try and tell me the other day he has NEVER heard of a problem with Alterna tile. I personally find this strange because I have had 2 processed claims in about 20 times working with the product.

I think what my rep and yours mean to say is "I have never paid out a claim" with said product.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chris 45

1. (Sales) Reps are there to sell you on their product just like any other sales person.
    2. Just because they haven’t had numerous claims doesn’t mean there haven’t been any failures. An installation related failure is still a failure. How about the number of denied claims or how many stores out there just stepped up and replaced a floor rather than file a claim.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

We had a Naked Furniture store that did just that over trowel line from a glue down. I looked really nice, I was amazed.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. kylenelson

While I generally agree, the rep was selling another product of theirs down the river while telling me that, illustrating the fact we all know here, there are very few failures with these floors outside of moisture issues.

12. “Virtually” ? Messing with you a bit cuz it’s fun, sorry!

It’s the flatness and getting it that way is the issue imo.

I wonder maybe not this product with the foam I think it can absorb the toughness of the adhesive ridges but other products that could perforate the visqueen by being between a rock and a hard spot.

13. Chris, you and I use our Tramex meters in the same way. Mine has two nicknames..."The argument starter" and ..."the lie detector".

"The argument starter" is when an end-user or GC keeps denying there is a moisture issue.

"The Lie Detector" is because half the time I never even have to get it out of the little leather case it's in because they ask me what it is and I tell them it's a moisture detector and suddenly they remember that the dishwasher had a leak or the ice maker had a leak. Game over.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I tell them mine is the "Impartial third party", lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Chris 45

I’m gonna start using that.

• Funny Funny x 1