Possible to do small carpet area without tack strips?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by efed, Mar 2, 2017.

1. efed

efed New Member

The landing at the top of my stairs is a jumble of old hardwood flooring & plywood sections. The previous owner had an old rug over it that I ripped out. The area is shaped like a thick "L" and is just under 36 square feet.

I do have some leftover carpet tiles from another project that I could use, but I was wondering if I could cut a section of carpet to fit the area & just glue it down. I don't care about the floor because, again, it's messed up.

Would that work? I would like to avoid having to get tack strips & the associated tools, if possible. (Unless having tack strips, say in one area would help keep it in place as I glue it. Again though, I'd rather avoid buying/renting tools.)

Thanks in Advance!

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Gluing carpet down is easier for the novice and can be done with about three sinple tools.

3. efed

efed New Member

Thank you for your previous response. Could you suggest a type of glue down padding as well? I realized that while I've attempted to adjust some lower spots, just a section of carpet by itself might not be enough. I've heard of double-stick or double-glue installation but only have found info about it being used at a commercial scale. Could I use rubber padding or a rubber/felt padding mix for this?

4. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member

I've seen it done with felt pad, though I wouldn't recommend it. You don't want to use a pad that will absorb the glue, or it will soak it up and the pad will get hard. The cheaper double stick pads are just rebond with a plastic coating on the top and bottom. You might want to call around to local flooring stores to see if they have a spare piece so you dont have to buy an entire roll.

5. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Wait a minute!! You say you have carpet tile. Carpet tile are meant to be glued or loose layed. You could put a tack/staple in the outer edges just to keep everything in place. You don't say they are peel and stick varity or not.

:old:

Daris

6. efed

efed New Member

Hi Daris & thanks for your response. Actually, I've decided not to use those carpet tiles but to get a section of carpet for this small, odd-shaped area. So, I'm more interested now in getting a piece of some padding--apparently not felt, as per Darren's comment above--so that I can ensure the carpet won't conform too much to the patchwork of a floor in that area.

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Here is the thing, anything that you glue down will conform to the floor like a second skin. If loose laid it will do the same in time if flooring is uneven.
    A picture would help tremendously.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1