Pork for 2017.

Discussion in 'Food for The Floor Pro' started by icanlayit2, Aug 25, 2017.

1. icanlayit2

icanlayit2 Pro Member

Back in January I lucked into being given a 1500 pound hog. The farmer couldn't feed her anymore and had to get rid of her. I took her and fed her 500 pounds of feed which she eat in 3 weeks. I measured her around at the front legs and 91 inches is a pretty decent girth. We slaughtered her, she has fed 5 families and I still have pork out the wazoo. For 4 years old the meat was as tender as a baby. Finest pork we have ever had. Heres a few pics

20170204_155501.jpg 20170204_155558.jpg

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

My goodness, that's a ton of flavorful food. Bringin home the Bacon.

3. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

I have traded work for beef. Once I had to help cut it into packages and it was one of the best times I've had. The cow was grass fed which didn't impress me much but it was good. We ate for about 6 months on a half beef.

4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Jackpot, we eat a lot of pork, going thru well over a 100 lbs a year, those must of been some monster butts, lol.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I bought a pig last spring and had some of it smoked for hams and bacon and some sausage made too. Much better than buying at the store. I also usually buy a 1/2 beef which lasts us for the year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My brother lived on the home farm and always raised 2-3 beef cows a year, supplied the whole family. He passed away two years ago and his kids, who live on the farm have no interest is raising anything.

Sure miss it.