porcelain plank stair edging

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Chas Ext, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Chas Ext

Chas Ext New Member

I want to put wood look porcelain planks on my stairs.
    I am not crazy about the Schluter look.
    My installer said we could use a white oak, stained to match, outside corner mould on the edge and butt up to it with the tile.
    He has used custom pieces, 2" x 1 5/8" (the 2" on the tread, 1 5/8" on the riser) that are 3/8" thick.
    We live in Nevada where it is too dry to use wood treads.
    Do you see any problem with this approach?

chas-stairnose.gif

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’d myself use the Schluter
    There’s lot of different color and shapes
    For there trim pc

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I might use the trip-FL due to its unobtrusiveness, or maybe something contrasting as for safety so visually going down the steps one sees the separation.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Chas Ext

Chas Ext New Member

Mike,
    That Stairtec edging looks very similar to what my installer wanted to have milled. I'll check it out and report my findings.

5. Chas Ext

Chas Ext New Member

I meant Phil, sorry.

6. I don’t like the two materials together wood and tile. Both cleaning methods are entirely different. You can’t use water to clean tile because the hardwood is right next to it. I don’t know the environment/use of your project either though.

Schluter certainly filled a void that was needed for solving termination of tile issues. I’m thankful for that. the look is somewhat sterile/industrial, doesn’t fit all decor “Yet” there’s other manufacturers, either a tile supply or a high end decorator supply company. Budget dictates.

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Either bullnose the tile or do the schluter edge. Wood isn’t a great idea, even though I don’t mind the look if done correctly.

8. Glad you mentioned that Kyle, we have done a few step ups but if someone hits it and chips, I suppose whatever it is, it will be damaged.