Please help! Haze on floors. How to remove??

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by kino1161, Mar 9, 2009.

1. kino1161

kino1161 Charter Member

I have engineered floors. They have come to have a "haze" or "film" on the floors. I have searched and searched on the internet. Everyone has tried vinger, ammonia, etc. Can anyone please tell me what I should do to rid my floor of this haze that is making my floors look horrible? Thansk, for reading.

2. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Have you used soapy cleaners in the past? Like Murphy Oil Soap etc?
    Soapy cleaners can literally leave soap scum on floors just like in the shower.
    Also, what brand engineered floor do you have?
    Steve

3. kino1161

kino1161 Charter Member

I have the Thomasville engineered floors, Yes, I have used, Bruce, Orange Glo (the worst) , soap and water, vinegar and water, you name it. It is a haze/film. If you wipe with a damp cloth, you can see how nice and shiney the floors are supposed to look, but they dry to a haze.

4. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

Call Thomasville and ask what kind of stripper can safely work on their finish to remove the haze.
    Something has obviously left a residue that needs to be stripped. It can be mechanically removed with a buffing machine and a lambswool pad. But check with the manufacturer first.
    Steve

5. Danny Ferguson

Danny Ferguson Abbey Carpet & Floor Charter Member

The Orange Glo is your problem. That $hit should be illegal to use on floors. We ran into this not long ago with a customer of ours. You can't get it off. My suggestion would be to call a sand and finish guy, and have him figure out what you should do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

I have to agree with Danny. All of the citric cleaner are derived from the oils in the rind . Oil on urethane is not a good combination as the oil seems to have a very tenacious grab to it. The irony is they don't actually adhere as you would find out by trying to coat a waxed wood floor with urethane.

I am very curious if the seller of the floor gave you maintenance directions at the time of purchase. If not, I'd certainly get them involved. If they did give them to you and you did not read them, or to disregard them, it may be an expensive lesson. BTW I suggest you do not use Swiffer type products either. The dry ones will haze and the wet ones can create some moisture problems as the liquid has a lower viscosity than water.

Have you contacted the cleaner manufacturer yet? I would certainly like to know what they advise you to do.

7. kino1161

kino1161 Charter Member

i'll contact Thomasville and see waht they say. Thanks, everyone.

8. kino1161

kino1161 Charter Member

i contacted Thomasville. They said they have heard this a thousand times and to use "BONA X" from Ace Hardware 1 - 2 times a week until the haze is gone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Peter Kodner

Peter Kodner Inspector Floors Charter Member Senior Member

Sounds like an easy fix- glad to hear that. Let us know if the problem clears up.

I do recommend the Bona system to all. They do make a great product.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NolaFjord

NolaFjord New Member

This is great for the consumer, user error causes haze.
    urethane and oil based cleaners do not work.. Haze can be corrected. I’ve learned so much already! Thank you TFP

11. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You're welcome, but please don't reply to 10-year old topics.