Picture Attachments in Posts

Discussion in 'Forum & Member Account How-To's' started by Jim McClain, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

This topic is no longer relevant. We are using different forum software now and the features are different.

Using pictures in your posts adds valuable information, illustrates your questions or answers and can add to the entertainment value of your messages. A member emailed me asking how to upload pictures to their posts. Maybe there's others who need more guidance, so here's a tutorial. This is for using the website upload feature that gives all members space for their pictures and other files.

Attachments can only be added using the Enhanced or WYSIWYG message editors for new posts and replies, NOT the Quick Reply editor. To get to the message editor from any existing topic, click either the Reply to This Topic button, the Quote Post button or the Go Advanced button as shown in the image below. If you Start a New Topic, you will automatically be taken to the correct message editor (you can select whatever message editor interface you want in the Options section of your User CP).

[​IMG]

There are two areas of the editor that you can use to upload your picture attachments. The images below show the attachment icon, which looks like a paper clip, and the Manage Uploads button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clicking either of these will bring up the small Manage Uploads window pictured below.

[​IMG]

You can upload pictures from your computer, or you can upload pictures from another website. The most common image formats are .GIF and .JPG, but there are several other formats available for upload here. The size of the images is set by me (forum administrator) and should allow you a wide range of file sizes and dimensions so that you do not have to do severe editing of your pictures before uploading them. The picture above shows a maximum file size of 2 MB and maximum dimensions of 1920x1920 for all image formats we allow (image dimensions are commonly measured in pixels). If you upload images larger than those dimensions, the system will resize them automatically. If your images are more than 2MB, or otherwise tax our system, you will get some cryptic message that there is a missing security token - it just means you need to resize your own images to something more reasonable.

Here are the steps you take to upload images from your computer:
    1. Click the Browse... button
    2. Find the image on your computer using the file manager that opens - you must know the file name and location of your pictures
    3. Click the file name and then the Open button - the file locator window will close and the file path will appear in the upload manager
    4. When you have located all the images you can upload at once (currently 6), click the Upload button - the file name will appear in the upload manager as Current Attachments
    5. When you have uploaded all the images you want (current limit is 18 per post), close the upload manager window (you also have the option of removing some images before closing)
    6. Finish your message and click the Submit Reply or Submit New Topic button and all your images will appear below your posted text with a thin frame around it that tells the viewer they can click the images to enlarge them... OR
    7. Attach your images inside the text area wherever you place your cursor by clicking the Attachment Icon (paper clip) and selecting each image from the list
    You can use the URL of an image located on another website, as indicated in the Manage Uploads window. Just enter the actual image address in the box(es) provided. To find the address of an image on any website, right-click the image and click the Properties or Image Info menu item. Click and drag your cursor across the address and Copy it (Ctrl+C) then Paste it (Ctrl+V) into the address field of the upload manager.

Be sure to preview your message before submitting it so that you can correct misspellings, punctuation and image placement. You want your images to fall on their own line - hit Enter after a line of text and again after inserting the image. If you have any questions about picture attachments, please ask them in this topic. You can also practice attaching images in this topic, or use the Test forum for practicing.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Thanks for ithe info Jim. It is still greek to me but maybe if I try it it will make sense. Incidently the link you sent me isn't a good one. It gave me an error 404 message.

Thanks

Daris

3. Jim McClain

I tested the link I sent you via email - both of them worked fine. It may be the email program you use is doing something to it like adding a space at the end or something. Unless you copied and pasted it, which often times also adds a space at the end of the URL. Remove the space and it works. You didn't reply back with a copy of the message you received from me, so I couldn't tell what might have happened.

Anyway, do some testing here or in the test forum, Daris, and see if uploading images is easy for you. You know, you're welcome to call me too and I can talk you through it. I'm sure you'll remember it after that. 530-283-5467

T

4. tony lamar

tony lamar Charter Member

I like the bigger size limits.

5. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

OK

How do I upload these, so that they appear in that box, thats says "Click to enlarge"

6. Jim McClain

Have you read this topic? Directions are in the first post.

I just updated it to show the even larger sizes you are allowed to upload. I know you were having trouble before, and I suggested you reduce the size of them, but you didn't have to make them so small. 1920x1920 is the maximum your images will display as. If your camera takes pictures as big as mine, 3264x2448, then they might cause a security token error. Reduce them to 2448x1836 and you should be okay. Of course, you might also consider that most people don't have screen resolutions nearly that big. When I resize my images, I try to make them about 1200x900, which will fill most people's screen very nicely. And you'll never have to worry about a security token error message again (it's not just the dimensions that cause it, but the file size, which is limited to 2 MB or 2048 KB).

Jim

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  7. Mommielady

Mommielady Member

Jim,

I have only had a moment to quickly glimpse the instructions you referred to in "Picture Attachments in Posts." However, we are Mac users and all the screen images and icons appear to be PC. Later this evening I will try to follow the instructions for learning to post pics. However, is this info valid for Mac users, or only for PC?

8. Jim McClain

Our forum software does not discriminate against Mac users. Your operating system should have nothing to do with how our upload system works. It has a browse button to find images on your computer and it has input boxes if the images are located on another website.

Jim

9. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Test!!!!

Attached Files:

10. Mommielady

Mommielady Member

'Concrete floor and EZ Mat issues'

Test to Upload Images with accompanying text. Works so far!

How do I arrange text to accompany additional photos?

Attached Files:

11. Jim McClain

I moved the "practice" posts here, where they should be. I got your email, Mommielady, and I updated and clarified the information in the first post of this topic. I hope it helps you and others understand better how to upload images.

As far as positioning your pictures, don't feel that you have to use every feature and function of the message editor, especially if you don't understand it. Remember, we do have a Test Forum where you can try these things out and not worry about screwing up a perfectly good discussion.

I will add another post to this to illustrate how to position images.

Jim

12. Jim McClain

Positioning Images In A Post

There are a number of ways to display images in your posts. Most of our members use the upload feature and just let the images appear in a box at the bottom of the post, as shown in the image below.

attached-thumbnails-box.jpg

You can, however, use some of the icons in the message editor to place your images where you think they can be displayed best. The image above was placed using the Align Center icon and then selecting the image from the drop-down arrow next to the paper clip icon. If you use the Enhanced Editor, as I do, you will see the code that displays when you click those icons.

positioning-images1.gif

On either side of the Align Center icon, you also see a Align Left and a Align Right icon, which will position your image in the same way - left side of the message, center of the message or right side of the message. A little secret: Left Align is the default, so you don't have to use that icon at all, if you want your image to be aligned to the left side of the message.

home-july2012-03tn.jpg Some of you may have seen post I have made where there is an image on the left or right side of the post, but all the text seems to wrap around the image. I do that using the FLOATLEFT and FLOATRIGHT icons. I illustrate that in this paragraph. It works better with smaller images, like the one on the right, especially if you are using several images in a post. As you can see, the text flows around and under the picture, making the image appear to "float" within the message.

Using the WYSIWYG Editor, you see the icons, but not all the code it uses. Here is the difference between the Enhanced Editor, on the left below, and the WYSIWYG Editor on the right.

enhanced-editor.gif wysiwyg-editor.gif

All of your images that are larger than 240x240px will still be able to be clicked and viewed at full-size. Try that with any of these images. The only one that won't be able to be clicked is the small thumbnail image of me, because it is smaller than 240x240.

If you have any questions about positioning images in your posts, just ask. You can practice in this topic, or use the Test Forum. Posts and topics get edited and deleted all the time in the Test Forum, so don't think your posts there are safe. Staff members are supposed to practice their skills in that forum and they can do anything they want to any posts there.

Happy posting,

Jim

13. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

bugga..can you give me a hint on a good resolution for shots Jim ?

14. Jim McClain

What is the resolution of your computer monitor? Mine is 1920x1080. You can upload even bigger pictures than that, but I have the forum software reduce larger images to no bigger than 1920px in either direction. You can upload 18 pictures to a single post, but only 6 at a time. But there's also a file size limitation and some people try to upload 6 huge images that break the system and cause an error message.

I like that my camera produces very high resolution images. I set it to almost the highest setting. But I also realize no one has a monitor that big, so I have to edit the images to reduce the size for posting on the web. The larger resolutions are great for printing and framing, more reasonable sizes are necessary for the internet. Every digital camera I have ever owned in the last 20 years has come with a photo editing software on a disk. Too many people just don't use it because they don't realize how big their pictures are - your computer automatically displays image files stored on your machine at only the size of your screen resolution or less. But that's not how it works on the Net, in most cases.

I have tried to make posting very large images easy here. But cameras keep improving and pictures are produced in ever increasing file sizes and dimensions. And our server can only hold so much data. We have moved servers several times over the last 7 years, so we could hold more data and improve the speed of the site for the increase in our visitors. We will prob'ly keep doing that, but my hope is that our frequent image posters will help us conserve space and save dollars by using that free software that comes with their cameras.

But in cases like yours, there's no need to reduce the sizes so much the pictures become hard to see. We all like the big pictures, so crank it up some, okay? ;)

It's not a rule though - none of it. We will adapt.

Jim

15. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

I generally just use my phone cam. I set the res on it to about 1.3mb to come in below the 2mb site limit. That was my mistake. I'll just take bigger shots in future and re size them:)

16. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

How to lower the picture size

I just tried to upload a picture and was told the picture size is to big. I don't know how to change the resolution so it will upload.

:old:

Daris

17. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Go to your pictures folder.....select the picture you want......right click on it.....a drop down should appear.....halfway down it says "resize"......follow directions. When your pic is resized smaller......do as you normally do to post the pic.

18. Jim McClain

Not on my computer. Maybe it depends on your operating system. I am using Windows 10. There is an Edit menu item when you right-click. That takes you into Paint. I tested resizing on a few images and every one that I sized down and saved as... ended up being considerably larger in file size, which is more likely to cause the error Daris got than the dimensions of the image. One image I edited to resize ended up over twice the file size. :eek:

My Suggestion is to use an actual photo editing program. There are a number of free ones. Those generally reduce the file size as well as the dimensions when edited.

19. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It works for me on several computers.

Windows 10 on a Surface Pro.

Windows 10 on a Dell desktop.

20. Jim McClain

Okay, well I have Windows 10 Pro on a home-built PC. I don't have any other computer. As I mentioned, that menu item is not available. Have you compared any resized photos with the originals to see if the file size is reduced as well as the dimensions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.