pet urine in carpet problem

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Jngeorge, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Jngeorge

Jngeorge Member

Researching for a solution, found this community. Currently in limbo. Dealing with pet urine in carpet problem in a 10x20 bedroom. Trashed carpet, cleaned plywood subfloor then sealed with Zissner shellac based primer, preparing for replacement carpet. Changed direction to Mohawk commercial 24x24 tiles using the Mohawk Enpress psa. Problem: Empress adhesive cannot installed over resin. Is there any product that will cover shellac primer and bond with adhesive? Right now I have a very heavy memory foam mattress blocking my kitchen to bedroom with a foot of pathway.
    All help very appreciated.
    George

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Just paint roll the glue on the floor and go for it. Worst case scenario and the glue will be a bit mushy over time. It's carpet tile... sticky+gravity=no problem

3. Jngeorge

Jngeorge Member

Any problems come from mushy glue? I believe they are pvc backed tiles.

4. Mark Brown

The worst case scenario (doubtful) is that the latex based adhesive would react to the resin based primer. I have put lots of carpet tile over kilz primer doing just this and gotten away with it. Other options would be to find a bonding primer that can go over resinous products and accept the carpet glue, I am not familiar with any but that's because I have never looked.

In all honesty I have stuck carpet tile down, to, over and with just about every combination of terrible situations man can conceive and to date have never replaced a piece.

Glue a small section and see what happens. Preferably a sector that is just one tile. Now the reaction usually takes a long time but if in 24 hours nothing untowards happens I say roll with it

5. Jngeorge

Jngeorge Member

Thank you. I will do that right now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mark Brown

If this was some gigantic 1000 yard commercial job, I would probably not advise you to be so fast and loose with the rules but we are talking a bedroom here, the worst possible outcome (armageddon) would be a reaction that reliquifies the resinous paint, mixes with the glue and... oh yeah, just sits under the carpet tile. Sure it could make a god awful mess when it comes to removal but it is all of 200 sqft, even if for some inexplicable reason the whole thing "failed" and you had to remove the cpt tile and do it again in my mind it would still be worth the risk.

7. Mike Mahoney

Mike Mahoney Pro Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I was just thinking of using Lock Dots, to turn your glue down installation into a floating installation, but Mike beat me to it. You could also cap the floor with a layer of 1/4” UL. Or how about having a piece of carpet cut to fit the room and then having that bound. I do think that a lot of guys would just wing it as Mark said. It’s just a bedroom. Bottom line is that you have options.

9. Jngeorge

Jngeorge Member

Highly onsidering this option.. thanks

A couple of good ideas. Thank you

10. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I’m glad you’re using carpet tiles. I shoulda did that with our new house. Wife just wanted old carpet cleaned. That’s a big f no, so I got 90 yds pad for 180 from a retailer, found some good deals on master bedroom, and some very cheap spray paint thin carpet for the two other rooms. Carpet tile needs to be more available for off the shelf purchases.

11. Jngeorge

Jngeorge Member

I went to a local carpet store to price carpet roll, pad, etc, and walked out with 300 sf ft nice looking quality carpet tile samples (bedroom and deck) for $170. Thought I'd screwed up until the suggestion of floating floor concept, so will eat the adhesive, but that's ok, So much less work.
    Having a nice cold beer!

Thank you all for such quick make sense solutions.

• Like Like x 2