Pest Control is telling me rock against the House

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by Mike Antonetti, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Pulled away the sand from the house to paint and of course removed the termiticide. Was going to put sand back but pest control company said rock was better. Two things, would this allow puddle along side of house to wick into house faster and wouldn’t this liquid water volume cause the termiticide to be carried away due to water wicking into ground.

Attached Files:

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I would think rock would hold less water. Sand would have more surface area for the water to hang on to. Liquid adhesion. Bug people soaked the soil around the perimeter of our house. Supposed to be safe to pets n such within an hour of application. I think it was supposed to not wash away in rain either.

Every 10’ around the house is a bait station. Those get checked every 6 months. Had termites in one of them couple months ago. All others were clear. The rooster is pissed at me today. I lifted the lid on the nesting box while one of the chickens was busy.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't know about Florida but up here they tell us to divert the water at least 6 ft from the house or foundation.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mike Antonetti

Same here, helps to prevent settling and moisture intrusion.

Was thinking back in the day when Aaron Adams use to post how they put gravel under their foundations, then sand,vapor barrier, cement and moisture moved freely under due to the voids.

Just wind driven rain would drop down right on top of footers. I asked about concrete pouring, he said no due to the gap that will form for termites to travel and said even separation of stucco creates access. They said by law they have to cover up and I’m scheduled next week.

5. Chris 45

Termites, roaches and ants all love hanging out under concrete. It’s dark, cool and nothing bugs them under there. We had to drill holes every foot or so in our patio and inject solution into the soil underneath.

Termites live in the soil and just visit your house to feed and poop then go back underground because that’s where they get their moisture from. Knowing that, I put diverters on all my downspouts. The farther away from my house I can get my gutter discharge the better.

In case anyone needs to know, this is what termite poop looks like. They will travel between the Sheetrock and studs, nibbling on the softer grain in the wood. If you see this, you had/ have roommates.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

Tile guy told me crack in middle of slab termites traveled underneath tile to studs and up wall. Usually I tell customers no need to patch slab. Flooring purposes not pest purposes were considered.

Think I’m gonna buy bulk clean sand from Lowe’s 900lbs 40$

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Up here that moisture freezes every winter, must be why we don't have termites up here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

The first plug of patch had a lip so I could pull out with utility knife. The other 4 I drilled in about 10 seconds. Basically I need the pumper into the holes, and the sticker on the panel box for a little assurance on the sale of the home.

The estimator told me not to drill the holes the tech may drill somewhere else or he’ll drill them where he want. Now I’m not sure if they drill one at a time to pressurize the area. Who cares!

Odd back story I removed tile at this guy’s house, he was a car salesman at Chevy and drove a high country 1/2 ton. I was thinking about contacting him for some consultation on a newer truck. So he told me who he was over the phone and when he got here said he was sitting down and his heart started racing etc. said it was due to stress so he went back to work for this company. Got me like 4 removal jobs since working on his house and told a customer that morning. So I couldn’t pass up any number he gave me.

Attached Files:

9. Chris 45

That looks about right. Granted, the exterminator has a nice truck mounted pump unit. Had a wand he stuck in the holes and injected each one. I’m thinkin maybe 50ish gallons were used for the entire house. Inside and out. I had the floors and joists removed and no vapor barrier installed. He was able to just come in and do his thing. I try to make things easy for people working in/on my house. It’s what I always wish for when I ring someone else’s doorbell.

FYI: True Value has the DIY kit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

Prior to having my wood shed delivered I put down plastic for moisture and weeds, didn’t think about the typical spraying ground prior like new construction slabs do. It’s up on blocks but I may tell him or remind to dose it up. The estimator mentioned it.