Perimeter of room new install of ceramic tile

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Journey, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Journey

Journey Active Member

I have a concrete floor basement bathroom and in preparing for layout I am of the understanding that it is a good idea to leave an approximate quarter inch Gap around perimeter of the walls my question is how do I fill in that quarter inch Gap once everything is done can I fill that in with some type of mortar or grout I don't know that it's a perfectly Square room either so I'd like to make the room look good but I don't know how much putting quarter round around the room is going to look. Most of the time when I take on a new project the details seem to be what make the difference so I'm thinking this project through and it seems as if that might be one of the details that would make a project look good or bad

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

what going to be on the walls?

3. Journey

Journey Active Member

I just finished priming and painting the walls and I will be leaving them painted. I'm going to take a photo and send it along with this

20170607_190324.jpg 20170607_190334.jpg

20170607_191715.jpg

Doorway from inside bathroom view
    20170607_192353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Are you installing tile? How about matching tile base.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

The gap recommended is for expansion, it's a small area so it won't expand much. I would put tile 1/8" away and color match caulk grout. Or cover with base.

6. Kman

Kman Tile Expert I Support TFP Senior Member Published

1/4" would be the minimum gap that you'd want to leave. If you're going to have some type of trim to cover that gap, just leave it open, since it won't show anyway. If not, use a color-matched caulk to fill it.

Definitely do not use grout, mortar, or any other hard material to fill the joint, or it's all for nothing.