Pawn shop find

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Chris Mha, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Found this Metabo 7" grinder with dust muzzle and 10 segment diamond cup. Real good condition. They wanted $135. Got him down to $90

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That's a decent deal, blade have 1/8" segment left? What vacuum you have to capture dust?

So I made my rounds today at pawn shops, I saw last night a sander so I figure I could flip it and make a few hundred bucks. Went there was looking at it and from 5 foot away I could see it was cheesily spray painted over. It was rusty etc, the guy says that's the closest to new you'll find, I say " that's funny" then he tells me it was sitting around in the guys warehouse and the cat was pissing on it. Something else he said and then "before you make another comment like that" I said I need to walk away for a minute, looked at their other stuff and walked out. All of this was overheard by the other two in building. They been open 7 weeks, we'll see if he's still there another day. All in all I bought a 7/8" wrench to change diamond blades on hand grinder,5$.

Pawn shops have so much junk laying around, they make their money off loans.

Also went to another pawn shop for concrete saw (Stihl ts420?)for 300$ on Craigslist, they couldn't find it(19 days on CL) said it was sold.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Antonetti

It spins a little fast, 8500 rpm, I don't even like my grinders spinning at 6000 rpm.

Saw a couple 4" variable speed Metabo's in good condition for 165 each with diamond blade and shroud. I may look a little closer at them today.

4. Mike Antonetti

Made in USA jack stands. I bought a set 20 years ago(100$?) ask the guy how much for the small ones, he says whatever the sticker says,30$ ok, I’ll play for a few seconds said to myself. Then he says 50$ for all 4. I’ll take em.

Think I saw this carpet cleaner at the CFI convention I just went to for 20 minutes. 400$ at pawn shop, not sure how to incorporate it into my business. What business, you got a business?

Attached Files:

5. Mike Antonetti

At a pawn shop I finally saw a “seamer down” getter done a ma jig. Figured the price would be 20$. So I check it out in more detail than when I first saw them @ 5 years ago. Breaking it down it looks like Teflon bottom with a 4” saw cut blade in 1/2” intervals. It was kinda clogged looking up into the slots with carpet fibers. I didn’t ask to test it maybe cause they were asking ridiculous price 120$.

So think No I’ll make my own because I got vacs. I see the seam weight and maybe I’ll change the base with some Teflon board I have sitting around, cut a 2” hole through the metal top plate for the vac hookup, and fill in sides to make airtight with undetermined material. Voila- seam weight cooling system.

Crap- googling it there’s already some made. The seam weight is 100$ at T4F, gotta make that too.

Attached Files:

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I used to use the cutouts from the sinks for a seam board. Cut them into 8" by 18" boards. MDF board with a laminate top.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I use my toolbox for a weight & have my helper blow on it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

Always gotta have a wise guy!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I did a CFI certification I think it was in Denver and a guy there used a toilet tank lid. Someonewas probably wondering what happend to his lid.

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. kwfloors

Biggest thing is, using something metal that doesn't absorb the heat and humidity off the carpet can make seams show. That's why I didn't like anything plastic either. SDN dries it so fast it doesn't matter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Funny you say that as I know a guy that does the same. I'm sure the customer loves to see him tearing their toilet apart to use for a tool.
    He's kind of a dink anyway. Good guy but the 60's really hit him hard. Kind of reminds me of Tommy Chong.

12. kwfloors

I have a friend that hits the pawn shops a lot. He called me about some that he found at one that on that day they had 50% off everything. I had time to go look and snatched up a SDN pro for $50 and this drill set with 2 lithium batteries for $35 and they through in the bag.

20181004_144148.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Did you wear a mask and have a gun at them prices?

:old:

Daris

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Mike Antonetti

These shelves are stuffed, tools were falling down when I picked up a worm drive. Not many flooring tools, 1 power stretcher,kickers,1 iron, basically repeats of things I already have.

Did score a chipping hammer from a pawn shop in Wisconsin from eBay that I think they listed wrong(sale) instead of bid. 150$ basically a brand new 11264 Bosch with shipping.

Attached Files:

15. Mike Antonetti

Got a small pressure washer. Honda motor, cat pump. Will last for many years if I treat it right. 300$ I walked away first time and regretted not getting it so hurried back before it was gone. Unlike other great deals I miss. Owner took 15% off since I’m a continuous customer. 275 out the door.

Attached Files:

16. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

That’s a nice one
    I have a friend who has a 4500 psi.
    He let me borrow it last year, to wash our siding down. He has a wand extension that has to extend 24’ or more.
    I has a small craftsman years ago. I didn’t winterize it and it must have frozen up. It wouldn’t build pressure.
    I gave it to a friend.
    I would like to get a new one this spring.
    6857702A-ACF0-427D-8CF7-7DCF82A37E79.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I used to browse the pawn shops when I lived in Rochester NY. There was lots of them there. Theres none that I know of here In northern NY. I think the city/county doesn't allow them. Theres definitely an abundance of people here that fit the criteria of pawn shop patrons.

18. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

I found this today. A Powernail 2000F 20ga cleat nailer. 1-1 1/4 l-cleats. Over $200 new. I got it for $40

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Nice find!

20. Mike Antonetti

I found one too. Except price was different so I bought this instead. 63$, dam guy didn’t give me no discount, everyone else always does without asking I might add! Fein but not supercut connector, off the big box store shelf accessories available.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1