Patching large hole left after removing basement stairs.

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Livvy, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Livvy

Livvy New Member

I have demolished an old stairwell into my basement. I am taking out all of the floor boards in this room and replacing them with ply, rather than trying to sub in something into the space.

I want to sister in some joists across the space - they go longways across the space.

At the wall end, it has been tiled with cement over the brick behind the tile. I was thinking of attaching a supporting beam with some sleeve anchors into the tile/cement/brick, and then placing a few vertical support beams underneath to the basement floor (attached with brackets).

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would run joists the other way so I wouldn't have to attach to that wall. All your doing is framing and that would just be holding the ply your replacing with. I've seen this done before.

3. Livvy

Livvy New Member

Wouldn't that possibly put too much pressure on the joists on either side?

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

That's something I would have to get a permit for. I'm not a GC, but I think if you were to sell, there might be an issue.