Patch or replace?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by GPSeattle, Nov 19, 2017.

1. GPSeattle

GPSeattle New Member

We bought a house recently. One room had massive built-in desks which had been installed on top of carpeting, and just before we bought it, the carpeting was redone with the desks in place. We uninstalled the desks and are left with 5 dark pieces of old carpet where the desk drawer units were. I want to patch these, while my wife fears it will not look or wear well. She wants to redo the whole room with the same type of carpet, which continues out into the next room, so we'd seam it at the wide entrance. There is no good closet to steal patch pieces from. I am hiring a pro for this.

Which is better? Would a brand new piece of the same be risking mismatched dye lots? We have the invoice with the style, color, etc.

There's a sample edge in a couple photos. These edges have tack strips all around. The other photo shows a dark, old piece ajar. These pieces range from about a foot square to perhaps 18” by 30”. The entire room is probably 175-200 square feet. The edges weren't quite cut perfectly, so would need to be recut at some places.

What could you do, and how good would it look? Would it hold up over years of traffic?

Only one of the patches is away from a wall. My thought was to cut a strip along a wall that already had a couple places to patch, use that to patch the other three holes, then put a new piece in that one, which would be mostly covered by furniture. If dye lot issues are unlikely, maybe just patching would be OK, too? I'd be more likely to agree with my wife if the carpet ended at the wide entrance, but there's a junction of the existing (but virtually new) carpeting with newly-bought carpeting to be concerned with, no to mention what I see as useless expense. I'm getting at least one bid on the work, so I can compare that to cost of new.

Thanks for your help. IMG_4003.JPG IMG_4004.JPG IMG_4005.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Ask the same dealer who supplied the original carpet if they can get the same dye lot or so close to it, you won't notice the difference (he should agree to guarantee satisfaction).

I never used much waffle pad in my 35 years, but that one looks to be installed upside down. I'll let other guys chime in on that, but if I'm right, you don't want that installer back. :ohno:

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Jim nailed it. That pad is wrong side up. We used to carry rubber waffle pad in the 80's but moved on to better denser pads. That pattern looks familiar to me, not that old. Maybe you can get the same carpet, with that many pieces to patch I would probably change that whole room and get a good installer that knows how to install pad.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Looks like HD pad. Now I’d question the integrity of the rest of the install.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

At second glance, the upside down pad looks to be from the original installation of carpet, before the desks were installed over the original carpet. The newer carpet appears to have a different pad under it (it looks cream colored). But then, where's the tackstrip that should have been done around the perimeter of the desks? That would have left a space the thickness of the tackless between the cream colored pad and the purple pad, if the tackless was removed with the desks. I don't see that gap. Or maybe the way the photo was taken makes the gap hard to see.

6. GPSeattle

GPSeattle New Member

There is tack strip under the new carpet. And yes, this is just the old pad, the new pad is Karistan 2.0 something (I have the receipt).

So my questions remain: Will a patch job turn out perfectly and hold up? Or do I let my wife redo the whole room in same carpet, and still risk mismatch of dye lots at the entrance to the room. (It's a wide entrance, not just a doorway).

7. Chris 45

I’d go with a redo. The patch may show in that carpet.

8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I figure the fact you are asking if you will be happy with a patched in repair usually indicates to me that you won't be. That at least has been my exprience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

That's the healthier living memory foam pad from carpet 1. I work with it a lot. Its super thick and squishy. Not my favorite and can't say as i would agree to it being under that carpet but that's besides the point.
    Replace the room. I doubt you will be happy with the patch.

10. Ed

Ed Charter Member

I vote for a complete redo. You said the room is 200 sq ft. The labor for that is probably barely over their minimum charge, which you would be charged for a patch job that may not fly. The carpet will come 12 ft wide. You would need 4 ft for the patch versus 15 ft for the whole room ? Not much more expense to get it right

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

it can be patched, the level of experience of the installer will determined how well it will blend. i always have customers that are a bit hesitant about a patch, but its always the same reaction at the end, they cant tell where the patch work was.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Then you’re good at attention to detail!

13. cjkgn

cjkgn Pro Member

I know that carpet very well, Karistan Modern Tradition. I've patched it once and seamed it plenty of times. It's definitely one of the best carpets at hiding seams. The bigger issue you'd have is obviously dye lot and wear.

That's a pretty big patch, I'd get a price both ways and then make a decision

14. GPSeattle

GPSeattle New Member

Well, we had the carpet sales guy over, who was also the store manager, so plenty of experience, and I didn't feel that he was trying to sell us as much carpet as possible. He said patching would be OK but for the dye lot issue (if I haven't said it before, there is no closet to steal any from, just a couple bedrooms that we'd have to rip it all out of and redo it). He also said it isn't a carpet he regularly stocks, he thought about ordering a sample to see if it matched first, but said the factory might not have that same lot by the time we got back to them. :( So he said we should just redo the whole room and hope. Well, it is definitely different, but it's at a spot where it isn't noticeable. Saved the 6-months-old carpet, too, so patching anywhere in the house should be flawless if ever needed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris 45

Smart idea saving some old carpet for potential repairs. Do yourself a favor and roll it up in a way that doesn’t crinkle or fold the carpet. The carpet core from the new install would be perfect. If you don’t have it, contact the store for one. They have plenty.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GPSeattle

GPSeattle New Member

Thanks, Chris. I roll it with the carpet top outside and the bottom inside, so it doesn't crush the pile, right? I think the installers rolled it the other way!

17. Chris 45

I always roll carpet face in. Face out subjects it to dirt and whatever it may come in contact with while being stored.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

No matter how you roll it it will do the same thing due to tension in the roll. The only time I roll face out is when it is going to be a rug and you want it to hug the floor instead of sticking up on the edges. And that is for a very short period of time.

:old:

Daris